How do you get this effect?

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get effects like on these pics ...

To actually get this effect you have to fog color negative film through the base (back). The color tint is the result of reasonably white light passing through the film base and anti-halation layer and then through the various layers and filters that comprise the emulsion in the wrong (reversed) order. Its commonly the result of a poorly fitting camera back or poor film transport in a roll film camera that winds the film too loosely (hence the comment to use a Holga that's been dropped).

Faking it in Photoshop would be possible, but might be rather difficult to do faithfully. I've never tried (I wouldn't want to) but you might start by creating a layer above the image flooded with the characteristic red/orange color, adding a layer mask to control where it appears and to get the proper shape and edge feathering, and then adjust the layer's transparency to let the right amount of the image below it to show through. You might also need to add additional Adjustment layers, with a copy of the same layer mask, to alter the contrast and/or saturation of the underlying image where the "fogging" exists.

Addie I apologize for these insensitive smartass creeps we have here trying to make fun of your obvious keen eye for creative photography. I have a lens that will replicate that exact look on almost any image you take a photo of. As a matter of fact that lens is for sale and I will let it go for $300 dollars and I'll pay for shipping. The lens comes in 47 pieces and was drug behind a Volvo for 3 miles on a dirt road to produce the desired effect. Let me know if you would like to purchase the lens.

mike zukerman photography

are you mocking me?

Guess I am stuck up too because I just don't see the purpose for that flare in the photos. You lose detail and focus, not to mention it takes away from the meaning of the photo. It just looks like you were pointing the lens at the sun. Sorry!

When will people get it?

soooo many smart ass in here. i wouldnt mind punching some in the face.

I kind of like it too, but only in some photos, like the ones you posted are okay. It adds some personality, I don't really like it when it's the big red/orange line, but if it's like the one in the carousel, it's kind of neat.

You can do it Photoshop like someone said (not scrolling up, to find out!) But just get a disposable camera and take some shots and see what you get. :) Try banging it up a bit.

LATE EDIT: Oh, so we're stuck up? Then I guess you did deserve those sarcastic comments.
I come here for advice from people who know more about photography then me.
You contradict yourself, you don't come here to get C&C cuz we're stuck up, but we DO know more than you? lmao. So you like C&C from people that have no idea what they are saying, or you probably just like a pat on the back for anything you make?

I can't believe you honestly said that and expected serious replies.:lmao:

Last edited:
Maybe the Camera / Lens was possessed or a spirit is around when the picture is taken.

soooo many smart ass in here. i wouldnt mind punching some in the face.
:lmao::er: sure, enlarge our profile pics and punch your computer screen.:thumbup:

Oh look, another one of these constructive threads..

On a serious note, I'd be heartbroken if my film camera leaked light and all my shots came out like that.

I think people get this by buying Holga toy cameras and putting them in the oven to warp them a bit. I don't know much about it but I know that it is done!

I think people get this by buying Holga toy cameras and putting them in the oven to warp them a bit. I don't know much about it but I know that it is done!

Good call. I support the idea kinda but when you become a flickr star doing this I have to frown upon it..

Hmm, this thread is constructive.

I think you could achieve that look with some intense warming filters and sunflares. Or, you could use some vintage actions with sunflares. Here I used an action called "1970's Summer". I adjusted the opacity, then erased some of it at 100%, then applied the action again, and erased portions of it at about 30%. You could definitely erase more to achieve what was in the pictures you posted, but here's my take on it.

4617806520_4b05e49afd_o.jpg

^ To each his own. I don't like that photo at all.

I was going to post my opinion of those photos but decided going into a rant about psuedo "artistic" hipsters wasn't worth it.

Also, I tried dragging my camera behind my Volvo and still couldn't replicate the effect, so I think I need to get a film camera and try it with that. Maybe I could just break my shutter and shoot in portrait mode, then crop the images down so they look like I shot them on the horizontal. . . . . .

Most reactions

Back