How do you guys do it?

I think it's more difficult in the U.S. than it is in Europe, for example. People in Europe don't necessarily find it weird that you're talking photos of them. When I was in Paris last spring, I snapped a shot of a police officer on a motorycle who seemed quite happy that I found him interesting enough to do it.

This one of my biggest hang ups when i started school as a photojournalism major. It's weird to get used to at first, but once you learn to be confident in it, you realize that people around you accept you more. If you don't look like a weirdo, and you look like you have a purpose people usually don't worry about you much.

You also learn to be less intrusive and therefor less noticed.

It's pretty exciting to take photos of people you don't know... In all honesty, I hate taking photos of friends and family now because I don't like familiar faces smiling at my lens.

Another thing too is if you're using a real camera, people are bothered less. A p&s or cell phone creeps people out since it seems much more like it's for your own personal use, or like you're only taking their photo to mock them with your friends later or something. I've found that alot of the time people are excited to see they're getting their picture taken with a serious looking camera... Like they can tell you're going to put them in the paper or something and they think they're special now. :lol:

another big step was getting a press pass... Now people don't question me anymore just because I have a photo ID around my neck, haha.

I understand that in some countries photographers are not allowed to take photos of bridges or any infrastructure.

Anyone have experience in a country like Egypt?

I hear that is difficult also.

great question thanks for asking I wondered this too

Most reactions

Back