How do you keep your camera safe when you go out shooting

jg123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Where do you put your bag down and how do you keep it safe from being lifted when you are setting up your tripod or concentrating on getting a great shot? Can you throw a lock of some sort around the bag to a nearby tree or park bench leg or do you just not worry about it?

If your bag of lenses, camera or anything else gets stolen while you are out and about does insurance cover it? I am in Canada so I am not sure if insurance rules are different.

thanks

Well, I hang my bang under my tripod. I slip the bag strap over the head and then let the bag hang between two of the legs of the tripod. When I am setting up my tripod, I just keep my camera bag on my shoulder and then immediately slip it over my tripod when I'm done.

dunno about bags, as i'll always make sure that the camera is with me all the time, plus, if i'm holding the camera, i'll make sure that i wrap it few circles around my wrist..

Where I live, no one messes with your stuff. I left my camera in my car on accident when I was at work one day, and it was in broad daylight (It wasn't too hot or too cold, though). No one ever messed with it, nor does anyone ever mess with stuff where I am. Most people leave their homes and cars unlocked, and people even tell me I'm paranoid when I do lock my car.

Anyway, my setup is my camera and that's it, no extra lenses or anything. But if I had accessories like what you described, I would keep them in a place where I could have my eye on them, like attached to my tripod, or even sitting underneath it unattached would probably suffice. . Burglars for the most part don't want to get caught in the act, so if they see that what they want is in your view, they won't bother you. Its when you turn your head that they start getting brave enough to try and swipe it. And they will wait for you to turn your head, even if it takes an hour, as long as the payoff is worth it in the pawnshop.

Note this philosophy doesn't work for robbers, just thieves. They are two ENTIRELY different types of people, the former being aggressive people either desperate or power-rushing, and the latter being shifty and scared of confrontation. If you meet a robber, give him your stuff and go, cause anyone who is willing to confront you so brazenly cannot be trusted enough to NOT hurt you if you don't give them what you want.

we're all using SLR tripods here right? Those things are awfully sturdy and would make excellent anti-theft devices.

I'm usually shooting in the country. So I don't usually need to worry about this. Unless a dog runs off with it. But I've not gotten into the DSLR world yet, so no extra lenses to carry with me. So my camera is in my hands at all times.

no special precautions here, unless in a crowd where the camera would always be attached to my body even while setting up things.

been to strange countries, never had any serious trouble with thieves so far.

In some countries / places things are very relaxed. I already left equipment worth around 2000 USD in my tent in Northern Sweden for a day.

Just be careful man. There is no substitute for keeping your eye on your surroundings and making sure things are nearby and not spread out.

we all know where to go if we need ANYTHING eh Senor Hound... :D haha

to be honest most times im with someone whilst shooting, if not i just put the camera back in my bag (this is usually on me)

I either keep it on me (like over my shoulder) or if I am setting up and for some reason cant have it on me like that, I will keep it very very close. Like by my feet with me stepping on the strap or something like that

2 - .40 S&W MP's :mrgreen: The magnum researh is to heavy and bulky. Or, you could go in a group and keep your eyes peeled.. Common sence.

I either keep it on me (like over my shoulder) or if I am setting up and for some reason cant have it on me like that, I will keep it very very close. Like by my feet with me stepping on the strap or something like that

Thats exactly what I do. Get used to swinging your backpack around your front to get what you need and swinging it back, after a while it feels normal to always be wearing it.

If I really cant be bothered to have it on my back i put it infront of my tripod so a thief would have to walk right infront of me to get it.

As for insurance, im guessing it would depend on your personal insurance situation. (i.e ive never bothered to get insurance on my equipment so i assume i'd be outta luck)

JC

I have had a tripod stolen in broad day light when I was out shooting, because I set it down and was consentrating on a shot that did not need a tripod and when I was ready to go to the next spot a looked down and it was gone :(... They needed a special quick release for that tripod though so I still got the last laugh. So now I keep everything on me as much as I can.

My rules when I'm in an area that I don't trust...

#1 Don't look like a photographer.. or at least don't make it obvious. I hate camera looking camera bags for this reason.

#2 Don't leave things laying around for an easy swipe

#3 The shoulder bag stays around my body at all times. If it is uncomfortable, I'm carrying too much stuff. Yes.. the bag stays around my shoulder when I'm setting up a tripod and while I'm shooting. The best time to take something is when you are concentrating on the next shot.

#4 When I sit, the bag also stays around my body. If not possible, then the strap goes around my leg and underneath my chair.

#5 Don't show off.... you never know who is on the take. One famous thief once said that the hairdresser in the local town would point him to the homes with the most loot.

1 camera, two lenses (lens pouches on my belt) is usually what I take out the door.. You wouldn't know I was "carrying" if you walked by.

I am rarely in a place where I have to watch my gear. Im most shoot in the Az back country so, it isnt like there a masses of people there. I might have to watch for the occassional coyote or, puma because they may decide to hock it.

Most reactions

Back