How do you know when it's time to upgrade?

What lenses are you using, btw.
I found the kit or prosumer (cheap) lenses dissapointing as far as sharpness goes. They do have their sweetspots, though. It wasn't until using better lenses that I realized the softness wasn't the camera.

I've noticed it too. I rarely use my kit lens. I do notice it with the 50mm f/1.4. (Not sure what you're referring to as "cheap"-if that would include the 50mm or not. I rarely open it up though, because I have enough trouble nailing the focus consistently. I try to never go wider than f/4.5 on a portrait unless lighting is an issue, so I don't think I can blame it on the razor thin depth of focus. Regarding lighting, another issue I have is that I notice more noise than I care to see if I use > 200 ISO, so that's generally the last thing I tweak to get my exposure.

Blech, I think I just want a new camera. :lol:

A new camera will not cure your problem, your camera settings and technique that are the problem
The canon 50F1.4 has no trouble tracking a target, this was shot with an old 10D and 50mmF1.4
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Sports-Portfolio/winnerCRW0138/577327860_Emrp5-L.jpg
and wide open at F1.4
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Competitions/Miscellaneous/Jane/355535220_YYB5A-L.jpg

Okay, so what settings should I change or be looking at? Can you help me target? Telling me it's my technique is a start, but what I am looking for is advice on how to improve. So far, only ONE person has even attempted to help me.

I've noticed it too. I rarely use my kit lens. I do notice it with the 50mm f/1.4. (Not sure what you're referring to as "cheap"-if that would include the 50mm or not. I rarely open it up though, because I have enough trouble nailing the focus consistently. I try to never go wider than f/4.5 on a portrait unless lighting is an issue, so I don't think I can blame it on the razor thin depth of focus. Regarding lighting, another issue I have is that I notice more noise than I care to see if I use > 200 ISO, so that's generally the last thing I tweak to get my exposure.

Blech, I think I just want a new camera. :lol:

A new camera will not cure your problem, your camera settings and technique that are the problem
The canon 50F1.4 has no trouble tracking a target, this was shot with an old 10D and 50mmF1.4
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Sports-Portfolio/winnerCRW0138/577327860_Emrp5-L.jpg
and wide open at F1.4

Okay, so what settings should I change or be looking at? Can you help me target? Telling me it's my technique is a start, but what I am looking for is advice on how to improve. So far, only ONE person has even attempted to help me.

You are using AI Focus when you should be using AI Servo for a moving subject, also try back button focus

I've had my Canon Rebel XS for about a year and a half, and although I'm very critical of my own photos, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated in general and I'm not sure if it's the limitations of the camera or my technique? My biggest complaint is not nailing the focus when taking pictures of a moving child. I use autofocus when photographing my children for portraits because I just cannot see well enough through the viewfinder to tell where the focus lies. Often, the images look fine when I review the LCD, but when I download them, the focus falls somewhere else and ruins what would otherwise have been a beautiful shot. It's maddening. I've noticed that the camera likes to "keep searching" for another focal point and often shoots blurry photos as a result, because it doesn't believe I know what I want to focus on. It's even happening when I use the auto modes- not just in manual. The only time the darn thing seems to work well is in full sunlight. Any thoughts?​

I'm saving for the 7D. Does anyone have any input for me on this camera-good or bad?​

Thanks. :)

I have a Nikon and if I leave on auto, the camera will try to guess where my eyes are focusing and try to adjust which often times it focus somewhere else entirely. I changed to one of the other mode and manually move the focussing point to where I want and often times this seem to work. This doesn't work on your camera??

and wide open at F1.4

You are using AI Focus when you should be using AI Servo for a moving subject, also try back button focus

Thank you- definitely going to try that. Seems it will take time to learn but I will practice! Thanks! :thumbup:

I have a Nikon and if I leave on auto, the camera will try to guess where my eyes are focusing and try to adjust which often times it focus somewhere else entirely. I changed to one of the other mode and manually move the focussing point to where I want and often times this seem to work. This doesn't work on your camera??

That is exactly what I am experiencing as well, however looking through the view finder and attempting to focus the eyes of a moving 2 yr old often comes with worse results. :lol: Looking into this back button focusing thing.

I don't know anything about Canon or much about photography, but I can tell you that the biggest help I've found for improvment so far is the book that I bought that is all about MY camera. It's by David Busch, and I know he has a whole series of camera-specific manuals. It's really helped me to pinpoint what I want to change about a picture, and how to actually do it.

You don't upgrade when you wonder if your camera is holding you back... you upgrade when you KNOW your camera is holding you back.

(or when you find you have tons of money and nothing else to spend it on...)

The tracking on the 50mm 1.4 is still tricky. The depth of field wide open is insane. Many of the shots I've taken so far with mine have the subject oof and the background in focus... That lens has such a learning curve!

Cuz he's old and cranky? :p

hahaha, could be.

I dunno, maybe I'm just too naive, but I wouldn't have taken that comment as belittling had he said it to me. :lol:
I wouldn't have either if he'd bothered to follow it up with something helpful. :lol:

Beansprouts

I know you are new here, you will learn a lot. Keith is one of the more learned photographers on this site. Once you get past what you may have perceived as a slight from him, do not be afraid to listen to what he can add. his technical skills are exceptional.

BTW: There are times it is just downright difficult to tell a persons attitude from their posts. Let it roll off like rain on glass and move on.

Welcome to the site and we look forward to seeing some of your work.

How are you utilizing your focus points?
There are 7 with my model. I use all 7/ AI Focus for action shots and just one/One Shot mode when taking portraits, using the inside corner of the eye as my target.

There is your problem, try just using the center focus point, AI servo, AI Focus is no good for moving targets
+1

You're camera is perfectly capable of focusing properly for action shots. Change the AF mode. This is good news unless you're looking for an excuse to buy a new camera ;)

The tracking on the 50mm 1.4 is still tricky. The depth of field wide open is insane. Many of the shots I've taken so far with mine have the subject oof and the background in focus... That lens has such a learning curve!

Is this true? I love this lens 98% of the time. But I often miss my focus when taking photos of my 6 month old son. I haven't quite gotten the hang of using AI Servo in conjunction with BBF (I have better luck getting focus on a moving subject in One Shot). I'm growing a little frustrated, as well!

I'm growing a little frustrated, as well![/QUOTE]

Alicia

Part of growing is getting frustrating. Frustration leads to growth or failure, it is totally up to the individual.

Thank you to those who offered suggestions! I am working on the back button focus thing. Will let you know if that helps. It's a little tricky!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back