How do YOU learn best?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by RyanMTaylor, Dec 3, 2008.

1. RyanMTaylor

RyanMTaylor TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This is a little text heavy but I feel it's worth it. Give it a chance please.

I've always been interested in how people learn; the whole psychology of both what makes people learn quickly and what holds them back.

It's become more and more apparent to me the more different "things" I pick up that you have to learn how to learn.

Running on this idea I thought of starting this thread to see how all of you guys and gals learn.

For me, It's a combination of learning by doing, seeing, reading technical and non-technical books and watching video tutorials, regardless of what I decide I want to learn.

Here's a breakdown of something I do frequently for Photography that helps me out a great deal. I would LOVE it if you could leave a brief description of one or 2 things that you do. In my opinion I think this will open a huge avenue for decisions and ideas on how to learn.. anything.

One thing I do:
    For technical information online I will read through an article and when I see a word that I don't understand such as "aperture" I'll open a new tab and look that word up. Now there's a pretty big chance that I will find another word within this text describing what aperture is, so again.. when I hit that word that I really can't figure out, I open a NEW tab and look THAT up. I do this about 6 or 7 times and then I backtrack through the tabs so I can understand the previous definition or idea. This is sometimes tedious but for me It helps to get a much deeper understanding of what all these things do and how they work together. As far as technical information and definitions that has worked pretty well for me.

Thoughts?

2. oesiede

oesiede TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's always good to look into any word you don't understand. Especially when it comes to photography, there are so many definitions and explanations that can relate to others and they become extremely confusing.

As good as it is to do what you do, I personally find it easier to focus on one thing at a time. If I got into six or seven different pages of text concerning aspects of photography I would probably feel overwhelmed.

Aside from that....give me something to read, and I can figure anything out. Sometimes watching someone else helps, but more times than not I'm better off with it written out.

3. RyanMTaylor

RyanMTaylor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Right on. I agree with the overwhelming thing too though. Sometimes I'm simply not in the mood to do it.
    The times that I remember doing it I remember learning many more things than I initially intended to though.

4. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I learn best by actually doing the task to be learned.

If that is not an option, I also learn things well by reading about it.

Watching someone else do it just pisses me off. After a few minutes I'm convinced that I can do it better, and they are messing it up.

I equate watching video tutorials more to reading than 'watching someone else'. For me they're like reading about it, but with the benefit of pictorial descriptions of what you're reading. I guess that only applies to 'good' tutorials though, if the host of the video is not describing what they're doing it's worthless to me.

5. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is no one set method that gives best results under all conditions. Therefore, for me, I just open the floodgates to info in all it's forms and take it all in, and then augment theory with practical hands on experience.

Either one without the other is an exercise in futility, however knowledge without experience is not REALLY knowing, is it? There is a huge gap between reading about something, understanding it and then being able to DO it.

I teach for a living, I have to learn what I teach... I never try to limit the ways I can learn anything... and trust me, I spend a LOT of time learning different things different ways.

6. RyanMTaylor

RyanMTaylor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great stuff so far! :D

7. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In a perfect world, for me, I read, try it out, then read again as now I kinda know what "they" were talking about, rinse and repeat. Unfortunately, in the real world, I rarely have time to do it that way...

8. RyanMTaylor

RyanMTaylor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know the feeling.

9. Paul M

Paul M TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is an interesting topic but I hate to say there is no right answer. There are 3 types of learners, Visual (can read or see something being done and catches on), Auditory (can have something explained or hear someone describe situations and resolutions), and Kinesthetic (actually doing the task to see how it works for themselves). I personally am a combination of a Kinesthetic and a Visual learner. That's not to say I can't be auditory, but it's much easier for me to see then do. I'm sorry if this reply isn't what you were after, but like usual, I had to add my 2ยข :mrgreen:

10. RyanMTaylor

RyanMTaylor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Absolutely. I'm not saying there is one right way to do it. I just want to pull from everyone's knowledge here to get some ideas on different things to try. Btw, have you looked into Neuro Linguistic Programming(NLP)? If not I'm sure you'd like it.

11. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tenacity--Whatever it takes to learn whatever I want to learn to do whatever I want to do.

12. RyanMTaylor

RyanMTaylor TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Of course.. otherwise you wouldn't stick to it or pursue it. But in order to learn it there are things you go about doing. I'm just trying to pry a little and explore what works best for people. Anything further? :p