How do you manage your rechargeable batteries?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by William Petruzzo, Oct 3, 2009.

1. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I use a couple dozen Eneloop batteries to power my 580ex's. For most weddings, I only have to change them out once on each unit. But occasionally wedding halls will be especially dark and the unit will have to work harder than normal so I'll end up having to switch them out a few times each.

A dedicated battery pack just isn't an option since one of the units is usually on a stand across the room.

I've been faced with a problem for some time now in charge management. Since sometimes I have weddings back to back on Fridays and Saturdays I don't have a few days available to get all of my batteries charged and ready to go. Not to mention keeping track of what is charged and what needs to be charged can be tricky.

So, I'm wondering, those of you who power your flash with rechargeables, what's your method for managing the charging process on them?

2. camz

camz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Look at Quantum power pack : http://www.adorama.com/QTTC.html

It charges in about an hour and half and you can velcro these guys to your light stand easy b/c they only weigh 16 oz. It is expensive but I think for someone on the go like you it might be worth the long run.

3. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The first thing that saves my arse all the time is using the new NiMH batteries that can hold their charge. That cuts down on the worry of running out of power, and with so many sets of batteries flying around, it's good to know that I don't need to charge all of them before a shoot if I can't do it.

Make sure you number the batteries in sets of 4 that you use for your flashes. If you have to move fast, toss discharged batteries in a case or bag, and sort through it later. As for actually charging them, I try to just keep them physically separate on a desk or even the floor, or in a long line (admittedly my desk is incredibly messy and this isn't a great option...but me...). Charge down the line, and then keep the batteries rubber-banded in groups of four once they're charged.

4. Buckster

Buckster Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm using the Eneloops as well, and they're working out great for me. I have two chargers to deal with 16 batteries to supply 2 580EX II strobes. I've got the sets of four color coded with vinyl tape so they're easy to ID and keep together on the fly.

For keeping straight on what's charged and whats used, I made a box out of coroplast that has a hinged lid on top and on bottom, so that the box can be flipped over and used two ways. The lids fasten with velcro that is color coded: Green on one and Red on the other. Inside the box, there's a 'floor' that can move up and down inside the box, dropping down to rest on the stack of batteries beneath it. When all 16 batts are charged but none are in the flashes, they're all in the green side and the floor is flat against the red lid. When the flashes both have fresh batts in them, the box has 8 batts in the green side, but flip it over and open the red side, and the floor drops down to rest on the 'green' batts, leaving room for 8 batts in the red side. When 4 batts need changed out, I open the red side, drop the used batteries in, close the lid, flip the box over, open the green side, and pull out 4 more fresh batts. When all 16 batts are used up and none are in the flashes or chargers, the box has all the batts in the red side, with the floor down all the way against the green lid.

It probably sounds more complicated than it is, but it's really pretty straightforward. I always know which ones are charged and which ones need to be - and where they are.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a few of THESE plastic battery cases. I place the freshly charged batteries in the same direction and the used batteries in alternating directions....that way I know, at a glance, which ones are fresh. I also label the sets of 4 so that they always get used and charged together.

I've got a good charger that has a variable charge rate. I can charge them quickly if I need to, but I usually set them to first discharge, then charge slowly.