How do you normally shoot? (Mode)

Please select your 'go to' mode that you use most often.

• Manual

Votes: 29 56.9%
  • Aperture Priority

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Shutter Priority

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Program Auto

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Full Auto

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

PhotoXopher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just curious what the majority of you shoot in, and if you care to expand - why.

Thanks!

Me, I like Aperture Priority with Auto ISO set to a max of 3200. I do feel I need to force myself to get into manual mode more often however, I'm getting spoiled.

M

I used to use Av the most, but now I find myself using M almost all the time.

I don't really find it slower than the other modes. If anything, it's faster in some situations. I don't have to meter, lock the meter, then recompose for every single shot.

I use mostly manual due to using off camera flash. I really like aperture priority though if I'm just walking around shooting in decent lighting. I haven't really dabbled with McNally's method of using Av with exposure compensation. Of course he might not have a 1/200 sync speed to worry about.

ISO is easy enough for me to adjust on my camera that I keep it manual. I'd avoid auto ISO anyways in case the camera wanted to bump the speed when I don't want it (I try to shoot everything under 800).

Hard for me to say. If not using a flash then Aperture Priority 99.9% of the time. If using a flash I'm in full manual 100% of the time.....I probably have flash more than no flash so I guess I'll vote that way.

Lots of Manual folks, I shouldn't be surprised but I am!

I have a feeling this is going to turn into a "manual mode superiority" thread where people using auto aren't going to chime in. I'll just say that it doesn't matter the mode as long as you get the shot you want. :D

I shoot in Manual now, but for the few months before I switched, I typically used Aperture Priority. It depends I suppose...

I hope not... I'd like to shoot manual more often just so I get a sense of what 'should' be under common situations, however in most/if not all cases the camera is smarter than I am at this point :D

I chose aperture priority in the poll because I use it the most, but the true answer is 'it depends'.

I like aperture priority because of the DOF control. I prefer it over manual because it's just faster, and with the exposure lock button along with your meter, you still have some control over the shutter speed.

There are times when I want to use shutter priority. For example, motorsports. Aperture priority wouldn't really work as well because you want some blurring going on in the background and car wheels, so you need a constant lower shutter speed for all your shots.

Often, there's difficult lighting situations where manual just works best.

There are other factors too, such as what camera i'm using. My Leica is all manual for example. My Yashica D (TLR) is too, and doesn't even have a meter. My Canonet is shutter priority only. My Yashica Electro (rangefinder) is aperture priority only, no other option) The Nikon FE has aperture priority, but I prefer to use it in manual.. Holga is just a shutter button and that's it..

..see, it depends..

Manual because I can't find the program button on my camera

Maybe yall can help me

100_2901.jpg

See it anywhere?

BTW, this is another one of those FAQ's

I hope not... I'd like to shoot manual more often just so I get a sense of what 'should' be under common situations, however in most/if not all cases the camera is smarter than I am at this point :D

Shooting manual is not a really hard thing to do. It's basically choosing your aperture and ISO, and rotating your shutter speed dial until you get to the =====0=====. For me, it's basically Av mode where I have to do the work, so unless I'm using flash and need total control of the camera, I'd let the camera do the decision making and override when necessary with exposure compensation. Any mode that keeps the on camera flash from popping up is good with me. :D

Most reactions

Back