How do you photograph reflections?

WomanInLove

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Kinda like this?

sb10066898k-001.jpg

What equipment is needed for reflections shot?
Thanks

Last edited:
Something reflective.

Can you be more specific?

That was probably done with a black backdrop and a piece of glass laid over it. Or maybe in Photoshop, hard to tell.

I guessed the same. Mirror surface with black backdrop. Up the contrast in PP to disguise any joins. I've never attempted it and would be interested to know too.

That was probably done with a black backdrop and a piece of glass laid over it. Or maybe in Photoshop, hard to tell.

As a guess, .. if you had a table and you laid on top of it a board with a reflective coating. The board extends beyond the far edge of the table from our POV - so it's furthest edge has dropped just below our line-of-sight in this example. Directly behind that hang a (light absorbent) black material. Position the camera like it was here and make a picture. Use Photoshop to enhance contrast and make it all appear seamless.

You can use Plexiglas to get reflective images and set it up exactly like you would a tabletop seemless shot. Put your seemless close to the back of the glass and light it for white from under the table pointed back at the seemless not the product and use fill to fill it in. For black you can light from behind 45 degrees or so. It all takes some playin around but thats my best input.

Plexiglas over the backdrop that continues behind the Plexiglas and up behind the product. I guess you could use two of the same backdrops, one for the base the subject is on, and one for behind. The rest is in the lighting.
Reflections on Product Photography

A reflective base surface, exact lighting, and likely some multiple imagiary in post.

BTW, the intial image should be linked, since the OP doesn't own the copyrights...... just saying.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back