How do you power your strobes?

ilovemydc5integra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
well I've got strobes..only problem is that I'm not sure on how to power them for outdoor shoots.
say at a warehouse....or anywere public..
I was thinking a generator of course..but any other suggestions?

How strong are they and how many are there?

I have a Photogenic 1000 W/s studio head and if I want to go portable, I just plug them into the Vagabond II battery pack and I am good for several hundred shots without needing an electrical plug. If I need more, I take along a nice large car battery that I already own and I am good for 1100 full power bursts or 2200 1/2 power flashes.

The Vagabond II battery pack goes for $299 and is a lot cheaper than purchasing a generator. It is also a lot more portable and much quieter.

http://www.alienbees.com/VIIbig1.html

+1 on the Vagabond, it rocks. The best portable battery power for multiple strobes out there (for the money). Just be sure to turn off your modeling lamps when using it.

I also think BigMike posted a DIY power supply on here not too long ago. Try searching for it.

How strong are they and how many are there?

I have a Photogenic 1000 W/s studio head and if I want to go portable, I just plug them into the Vagabond II battery pack and I am good for several hundred shots without needing an electrical plug. If I need more, I take along a nice large car battery that I already own and I am good for 1100 full power bursts or 2200 1/2 power flashes.

The Vagabond II battery pack goes for $299 and is a lot cheaper than purchasing a generator. It is also a lot more portable and much quieter.

VII Case
:thumbup: +2

I've been on a DIY binge lately... lol

I was thinking here last night and thought up a good possible setup.

A Samlex 300W Pure Sine Inverter goes for about $130, a SLA Battery Tender goes for $70, a SLA batery goes from $30 to $100.

Now, here comes the interesting part.

Get yourself one of those rolling dolleys for $10 that you see in the harware stores, bolt the inverter to it, place the battery on it, hold wiith bungee cords and simpy bungee a light stand with your studio head on in... and ROLL IT AROUND with zero effort! You could use a larger battery for making sure it stays stable! :D

I already have a Vagabond II battery pack but with this idea, you could have a completely portable and easily transportable setup for about the same money or use a smaller battery and save anywhere from 20-70 bucks!

Thoughts?

I've been on a DIY binge lately... lol

I was thinking here last night and thought up a good possible setup.

A Samlex 300W Pure Sine Inverter goes for about $130, a SLA Battery Tender goes for $70, a SLA batery goes from $30 to $100.

Now, here comes the interesting part.

Get yourself one of those rolling dolleys for $10 that you see in the harware stores, bolt the inverter to it, place the battery on it, hold wiith bungee cords and simpy bungee a light stand with your studio head on in... and ROLL IT AROUND with zero effort! You could use a larger battery for making sure it stays stable! :D

I already have a Vagabond II battery pack but with this idea, you could have a completely portable and easily transportable setup for about the same money or use a smaller battery and save anywhere from 20-70 bucks!

Thoughts?

You have too much time on your hands??? :lol:

+1 on the Vagabond, it rocks. The best portable battery power for multiple strobes out there (for the money). Just be sure to turn off your modeling lamps when using it.

What do you mean by "multiple strobes"? From what I'm seeing on the Alien Bees site, there seems to be only one outlet. Can you plug in a multi plug and then it just lasts half as long with 2 strobes for example?

Sorry for the late response.

Yes, you are allowed to plug in a "power bar" and use as many as you want. Of course, it is logical that the more strobes you use the faster the battery drains.

I will tell you this, most people do not use multiple 1000 W/s powered heads at full power all the time, so as an example, a couple of 135 W/s heads (each a touch stronger than a top of the line speedlight) set to 1/2 power or less would last you in the several hundred shots number, before needing to be recharged.

Most reactions

Back