How do you set you D50 camera settings?

Illah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.grooveeffect.com
Mainly I'm talking about the custom image settings - color mode, sharpness, saturation, etc. Right now I use color mode Ia, auto contrast, and no sharpening. When shooting in RAW many of these settings become meaningless as I can edit them afterwards, but the less work I put into post the easier life becomes.

Any other key settings you changed for specific reasons?

Thanks,

--Illah

I did a lot of experementing when i first got the camera, and this is what I found.

Color mode III, and saturation + for maximum vividness in the color. I love cold blue light (hot, actually, at 6800k), and I still like the effect these two settings give me. I was suprised to read that ken rockwell uses the same settings.

I only remove tone compensation from auto when i've got absolute and total control over my lighting, which is when i put it at +2. This creates a ton of range in very evenly lit photos, and provides a huge amount of depth. The downside is that the tiniest shadow becomes pitch black, so the lighting has to be pedantic and your subject very still. I find the results highly pleasing and worth the effort.

Alternatively, if you're having problems exposing a photo and things are washing out/blacking out, -2 will make the picture absolutely flat, but capture all the detail. It wil be the most boring photo you've ever seen, though.

Otherwise, I leave it on auto. There's too much change even in the same lighting conditions to take spur of the moment, naturally lit photos.

where is the color and saturationsettings, i dont see either of them? i cant find my manual and i want to try different settings but cant find them.

nvr2low said:
where is the color and saturationsettings, i dont see either of them? i cant find my manual and i want to try different settings but cant find them.

Page 48 of your manual talks about optimizing images. You can select a canned configuration or select custom and set your own. Page 76 explains the custom setting; sharpening, tone, color mode, saturation, etc.

Most reactions

Back