How do you store your cameras/lenses?

philaphotog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For those who have more than one camera & lense... just curious how you store them? Do you use a brand-name camera bag, or something different? And do you leave the lense attached to the body when they are in the bag?

For my part, I have 3 Lowepro bags - 2 smaller ones to use on location, and one larger bag that holds 2 camera bodies & lenses that I don't use frequently and other odds & ends. I don't have an office or anything like that, so I just keep them up on a shelf and pray my toddlers don't figure out how to climb the wall! I usually store cameras with the lenses attached, but I'm wondering if that is OK.

TIA,
Amanda

I use a pretty small camera bag that I found laying around at my house. I leave the 55-250 attached and 18-55 in a cheap lens protector I bought at Wolf/Ritz camera. I always leave the lenses in MF and remove the battery from my camera so it won't drain and in case I plan on leaving it there for an extended amount of time. I have a pretty small camera bag and need to upgrade soon...I don't have room for my flash lol..

I actually store my stuff in a Lowepro Backpack.

I like it because if I want to take my gear with me it's always ready to go and I have all my CF cards, USB, filters, etc. in the case that I might need them. Also, having a backpack makes carrying all your gear much easier than lugging a bag around because you throw the backpack on and it's like it's not even there. My backpack also can hold a tripod on the outside with a couple of fold away pouches and straps and that's an extra bonus as well.

Like KabeXTi all my kit is in my bag - along with the USB, chargers and all. Its nice to have it all in one place and ready to go.
Of course my bag is not totally full and as my kit expands I suspect I will have to start getting new bags to fit the new kit in! Then I will probably adopt one of two strategies:
1) same as now - only with a key set of kit that I tend to always use rather than everything

2) have totally empty bag(s) and pack for each trip out - a little timeconsuming, but means I don't end up carrying the wrong bag!

Everything in cases.... always. I'll leave one on the tripod, but everything else in cases. OK... some of the older film stuff in a cabinet.

This way, no accidents. And, I never have to hunt for anything. Each system in it's own case.

And... the cases "live" at the studio. I rarely take anything home with me after a shoot. And the only thing I'll leave in the car is a tripod.

-Pete

I have two bags.
One is my Lowepro A90 Rezo which holds my D300 with lens attached, 3 other lenses (I think it would hold 4 lenses), my USB cord, filter, other cords, and extra caps.
I have a simple messenger bag that I keep my D60 with lens attached in, and the charger for that is in with it.
If I'm not using either of my cameras, they're stored in their bags.

I have foundhe best thing are any insulated cases designed for outdoors/backpacking. All my lenses are in appropriately sized insulated nalgene cases, and my camera is in a backcountry lunchbox/sixpack cooler. It's a little rough around the edges, but it works really well. All the outdoors designed stuff is padded, waterproof, and the lightest around. Since I do a lot of backcountry hiking, climbing, mountaineering photography it's the best. I need something the can be modular and fit inside of a pack meant for climbing, with all my climbing gear. This way, anything I want is already in a padded case, and can just go in the pack with whatever else I'm going to need for outdoor gear.

For those who have more than one camera & lense... just curious how you store them? Do you use a brand-name camera bag, or something different? And do you leave the lense attached to the body when they are in the bag?
I have a fairly small bag. In the pocket on the side, I have my cables on one side and extra batteries on the other. In the front pocket I have 2 tripod mounts. In the top pocket (under the main opening) I have several batteries and memory cards. Inside the main compartment is my cameras. I have it divided in half, one side has my 7 yr old's Nikon Coolpix 880 3 MP and on top of that is my 4 yr old's Fuji FinePix 2650 2 MP. In the other half is my Fuji S700 7 MP. All lenses are permanently attached to the cameras.

:D

Its a good idea to throw in some desiccant packets especially when stored in humidity. I think I paid $5 for a bag of 25 packets.

Frequently used stuff is in a shoulder bag ready to go at all times. Other equipment is in a Pelican case stored in the basement (desiccant packets and dehumidifier ). The rest is usually in my display cabinet.

I keep my stuff (2 bodies, 5 lenses - 2 more lenses that aren't in the bag) in a Domke F-2.

Neither body has a lens on it - they won't fit in the bag with a lens on.

Need a new bag soon, so I can put the other 2 lenses in there and keep a lens on at least one of the bodies...

Last edited:
I got a good deal on my 40D, and it came with a Canon case. It's pretty good quality, but it's kinda a little too big and flashy for someone like me, so I don't take it with me when I'm out shooting..When I'm shooting I usually only take what I think I will use in a backpack (A lot of times I just take my lens and my camera and maybe a polarizer in my pocket)..In my backpack I have little tiny cases that my lenses fit in well..I kind of have my own system =/

anyone else takes their battery off? i use my 1 week old dSLR everyday. i dont think i should remove it.

how about a week?

and to contribute. i only have body with lens. so its in a lowepro. it has charger and usb in it. and lens cases.

I have a dining room table as my office desk... it has lenses and crap all over it. I tend to toss whatever I need into one of my two primary bags. Usually about 1/2 of my stuff is in one of those bags. Actually, I see my D300 is actually sitting on the floor next to me... I should pick that up. :lol:

I do need to get better about this, and have some plans, but my office is in need of a lot of organization and my kids are demanding of my time. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back