How do you take good photo's of ice?

orion

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In about 30 minutes, I'm heading to an outdoors ice skating rink and I would love to have some great pictures with people in them (if you see my DevArt page you'll understand). I have already attached my polarizer and ND filter (for some nice motion blurs). Is there anything specific to remember for taking pictures of ice or should I just shoot normally and see how it comes out? Thanks in advance!

See any post about shooting in snow.

Remember that your meter is trying to make everything middle gray. If there is a lot of white ice in the viewfinder when you or the camera takes a reading, then the photo will probably be underexposed.

Set camera to overexpose by a stop or two. Or meter off something middle gray.

Thank you very much! I managed to do like what you and the snow topics said and it came out great.

babyskater1.jpg

Not much ice in here but this is one where the 2 stop overexposure produced something I really like.

Yeah, that exposure looks really good.

It doesn't always work, but if you find yourself in a tricky lighting situation, meter off something white, and add 2 stops, or meter off something black (I like to do this), and subtract 2 stops.

Is this process of metering off of something white Necessary with digital cameras? Cuz I know they have auto white balance, how effective is it at fixing those normal problems w/ film

trog- even with AWB the meter can still get fooled by high contrast scenes.

The shot of the front yard with the sun shining I posted last week is 2 stops off what the meter said.

Most reactions

Back