How do you usually focus?

I really don't know too much about what I'm doing, so I decided to learn on manual. That's the only way that I've been shooting so far, and although I just started, it seems to be working out okay.

I used to give music lessons when I was in college to help pay my bills and when I taught my students guitar (or bass) I always told them that if you learn to play well on an acoustic (which is harder on the fingers) you'll be great on an electric. I'm assuming (hopefully, rightly) that the same theory applies if I want to use autofocus.

Most of my shooting situations are at fairly wide apertures so it becomes risky to focus manually, quickly. I'm like you Drake, I'm usually just frustrated by the multipoint AF. I set mine to center focus so I always know exactly what to expect.

Focus? I knew I forgot something ...

I'm assuming (hopefully, rightly) that the same theory applies if I want to use autofocus.
I like the theory, but I don't think it applies to auto focus in the same way that it applies to things like learning guitar or learning to drive on a manual transmission etc.

I suppose if someone was just picking up a camera and just pointing and shooting...then yes, using manual focus would probably be a good way to start and learn. However, many very experienced photographers will use Auto focus to achieve what they want because it's quicker and easier than doing it manually.

If you want to take the 'learn manually first' approach with photography, then I'd suggest learning to use Manual Exposure rather than the auto exposure modes.

Manual if I have the time to set up the shot or if i can preadjust the focus on a set location for another entry, other wise I use AF so that I don't miss anything.

My problem with MF is that my eyes aren't as young as they once were. I prefer to use MF, but find that I easily screw it up. It was alot easier in the day of split focusing screens. I'm planning on investing on a Katzeye focusing screen when I can scrape together the $$. I just wish they made one with a 45 deg. angle (I e-mailed Rachel Katz and she says they don't have the ability to make those yet, but have had many requests).

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

My problem with MF is that my eyes aren't as young as they once were.
Not only that...but most modern DSLR cameras have rather tiny viewfinders compared to the top of the line pro models or our old 35mm film SLR cameras.

I mix it up. MF for static objects, AF for people, dogs, and whatnot.

On the Sony Alpha:
AF-S: Single shot, which will lock and stay locked when the shutter button is "half-cocked"
AF-A: Auto focus, will lock and make small adjustments as you're pressing the shutter button.
AF-C: Continuous, will not lock, will not notify you if the object is in focus or not, you determine that. Great for moving objects such as sports players, cars, or my dogs.

I manual focus every thing. Even if I did have AF, I'd use manual.

and why is this? I find most posters find AF as a noob statement. Does MF take you out of the Noob category? lol

seriously, Is it possible to get in better focus manually than AF?

Ive done both for some time now and find I cannot focus any better than the camera can itself..maybee its my old eyes?..lol

I must admit that I focus alot with MF just because I had always used MF in my old 35mm days (there was no AF) and just got back into photography last year after a many many year hiatus. I am still getting used to the idea of AF -- call me an old fogie if you'd like. The more I use AF, though, the more I am beginning to like it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back