How does onboard HDR sound on a DSLR?

Regardless, this camera is going to be incredible. I think it's going to be the best camera in it's price range, and the smallest in it's class.

Given my experiences with HDR, I would be kind of shocked if they could get a machine to do it "properly"... esp where "properly" is unbelievably subjective, ranging from "far out wild and wacky surrealistic images" to "just trying to get a reasonably accurate respresentation of what is seen by the human eye."

Adorama Learning Center - The Pentax K-7: The era of in-camera High Dynamic Range Imaging has arrived!
I've actually spent some time with this camera, and it's quite interesting.

Jack Howard
www.Adorama.com

Thanks for the link to the write up.

Welcome to TPF. :D

I have been tossing around the idea to pick up a Pentax to play around with. I am pretty much a nut as I currently have a bunch of Nikons (SLR + DSLR), Minoltas (SLR), and some Canon (DSLR). But my first slr when I was a kid was a Pentax. So, there is a little bit of me that wants a Pentax again. I think you make a good point in your article about shooting your own HDR shots in RAW and then again with the camera's HDR function. If the in camera shots are good. Why take the time to fuss on the computer. If the camera didn't quite get what you wanted. Then you have the RAW captures to merge yourself. It's digital, not like your wasting film! I think now that Pentax has opened the box with onboard HDR the others will follow. This could get interesting.

I also like the idea that they included Adobe .DNG to the camera (not sure if this is new or not with Pentax or others). But to have the standard raw from a much used software company makes sense to me. Especially since I use several of the Adobe products.

Last edited:
THIS IS GREAT THIS IS EPIC. By finally introducing this feature in camera they have fixed the biggest problem with HDR. The users can't kill the photos with the lovely restrained settings that are available.

No more hideous saturation at max, mapping radius at minimum crap that is flooding the internet direct from photomatix. Finally we will have photos that will look like actual photos again.

:wav:

Yes, but it's still a software fix for a hardware problem.

The tech is out for a full 11 stops of DR but companies are still trying to cheap out with software instead of making a Great camera. Unless you have an extra $5k-$12k to spend.

Most reactions

Back