How does she achieve this look

Why don't you ask HER? Anyone else besides her would just be guessing.
Her email is listed on her profile.

As I wrote she does give workshops, so I doubt she is willing to tell her secrets in a mail.
I'd say one can do more than just guess when taking a closer look at images.
Secrets? You're asking members on here to unravel her "secrets", so I don't know how they are supposed to remain "secret".

Besides; you haven't asked her, so you're just guessing.

Furthermore; we've seen this photographer's work on here before. (via link)

Don't forget patience; I'm pretty sure a lot of those images weren't 'one click and done' productions. Great work, but I'll bet some of those took a lot of effort & time to create.

I liked the tip Elena gave on that link from above... Don't give up.

Selective focus in post. The work resembles some of the stuff done by Alavekios.

Thanks for all the replies. So the 85 1.8 could not reproduce these images? They are very beautiful VERY

Alavekios.. thanks for pointing them out!! Nice

Last edited:

I just reread that page - and especially "5. Don’t give up." is veeeeeery important. She tried to capture that image of her dog and her kid 14 times - not 14 photos, but 14 photoshoots. She was about to give up when the 15th was a success.

Thanks for all the replies. So the 85 1.8 could not reproduce these images? They are very beautiful VERY

I think it can be achieved with many lenses that have a wide opening - 85 1.8 should work well for many of those images.

But
  • she says she is full time mother with a very good eye for images and light (That´s not me saying you are not ;))
    that´s a perfect combination for kids imagery
  • she takes pictures of her kids over and over every day that gives here the chance to capture the best moments
    If you had a dog, take pictures of it every day when going for a walk with a decent camera, and work on your photography skills the rest of the day - I bet you get quite a few keepers
  • she is very good in selecting only her very best images for display
  • she is good in lightroom - and photoshop.
    Some of her images (boy looking out of window) have a yellow light source , like the rising sun, while the highlights in the hair of her kids are white, so she knows how to selectively change color in an image and adjust the color to get an overall well balanced image
    Some images (girl with long hair on horse) have selective areas darkened to draw attention
    Some images (girl with goose in pond) have selective defocussed areas which I think are not taken with a tilt-shift lens, so probably done (pretty well ;)) in post
  • she lives on a rural farm which offers great options for her preferred look.
Rereading this sounds like a jealous photographer who wants to put the work of another one down - that is in no way my intention - those images are great, and she is a great photographer. There´s just more to really great images than being a great photographer, and having good equipment. She gathers all that.

EDIT: This is not meant to demotivate but rather the opposite. Having all this in mind gives you the opportunity to change your way of taking pictures.

Last edited:
Last edited:

no, it wouldn't. For those type shots you're better off using a 135 f2 and 200 f2
this photographer uses those lens
www.flickr.com/photos/desertrose76

no, it wouldn't. For those type shots you're better off using a 135 f2 and 200 f2

Very sorry to disagree, but there is more to an image than one or two lenses. The image samples of the photographer the OP mentioned don´t only use these two lenses, focal lengths or f-stops.

The point was that you'd be better off using longer lenses than shorter ones...

Very sorry to disagree, but there is more to an image than one or two lenses. The image samples of the photographer the OP mentioned don´t only use these two lenses, focal lengths or f-stops.

Laughing eyes covered.gif

Most reactions

Back