How does this promotioanal idea sound?

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday I met I hair stylist who is a really cool guy and works in a pretty trendy if you will hair salon. I was thinking during the summer one day I could set up my camera and have a little "station" in the back and advertise free head shots that day. After people get their new hair cut and look great they could come over to me and I'll shoot a couple pictures of them and then e-mail them a smaller version of the picture. If they want to buy it they could or book a real shoot with me.

I figured this would be a great way for exposure seeing as so many people come in and out of the salon and then they will go home and tell their friends, husband, wife, whoever, there was this guy at the salon today taking free head shots.

Sounds like a great idea. In fact, I've had the same idea myself. Do you have a light setup to use in the salon? You will need to get some real nice glamour lighting to match the photos to the trendy new haircuts.

anyone else here always have bits of hair all over their head after getting a haircut?

I want to do it the OTHER way around.

In other words... I would prefer the hairdresser give the free/discounted service to MY customers. I used to do something like this years ago. The local Merle Norman store allowed me to give a coupon for a free photo makeover to my portrait customers.

I'm sure the guy I met would give free cuts to anyone who I'm shooting. He just moved in from San Francisco and trying to get his name out so it would work for both of us.

I have a flash and 3 continuous lights 1 being a soft box plus umbrellas for the other 2. Do you think the best set up would be a simple 3 point lighting?

I have been planning on buying one of those small portable 4x6 printers to use for a few other things so I was thinking I could possibly just print out a 4x6 right then and there.

Bump

Deepspring, did you ever do this idea?

I have been thinking of contacting some hair salons and find out if they would be interested in doing a glamor portrait day. Right now business is slow for them, so this could help with their business, while making me some money. The town my studio is in, there seems to be a hair salon in every other building. My only concern is to have enough space for a portrait. Shouldnt be a problem for a head and shoulders shot but I dont see there being enough room for a full length shot with out going to wide on the lens

I was just wondering if anyone else in this thread has done something like this.

Idealy, it would have been best to advertise this during their busy time a month before Christmas, for perhaps the first weekend in February, collect non refundable appointment retainers and do a mini 15 min portrait session of each lady. Perhaps as part of the appointment retainer toss in an 8x10, and then give them the chance to buy more after the shoot.

Another problem is not every salon offers makeup, and I dont want to pay a makeup artist to be there.

I actually really like this idea. I'm in the process of starting my business up and trying to think of some ideas to market myself. I'm more into general portraiture, like families and kids than glamour though I wouldn't mind doing glamour type shots if that's what my client wants, lol. I'll have to talk to the woman who cuts my hair. I think it would definitely bring business to both of us.

in my research for the glamour portraits, it was recommended to get a 40" fill flash and a reflector for below for the most basic setup, perhaps an interesting backdrop or material from the fabric store for the background and toss it out of focus. I wonder what a basic 40" fill flash and stand runs for, time to do some more research.

a ring flash could also be interesting, to get that circular catchlight in the eyes.

A local radio station is doing a charity event for St Judes. A very good local photographer is setting up in their conference room and parents can bring their children in for a 30 minute portrait session. The cost is a $10 donation to St Judes. They get one 4x5 print. They also get a Coupon for 25% off a regular portrait session at the photographer's studio.

The radio station is advertising the event and her name constantly. And she's probably going to convert a lot of those who come in to regular sessions at her studio. And all it's costing her is her time and the 4x6 prints (which she does at the radio station after each session). She's going to be there all next week.

not bad, looks to be a pretty cheap way to get constant radio advertising that would cost a small fortune otherwise. But a week of 30 min sessions does sound tiring and no income for that week.

Most reactions

Back