How far do you want to go?

But it sure as heck doesn't hurt to have the mentality of a 14 year old at times, I tell you!

For me, I've already surpassed what I thought I could do when I started a meagre 6-7 months ago (low expectations? lol), and finding out like in ANY hobby I persue (martial arts, self edification of sciences, arts, health, music, mechanics or whatever), that the more you learn... the more you realize how little you know.

As long as I enjoy it, I will continue to slowly evolve and grow at my own pace. Let it take me where it wants, I don't care about the final destination... its the journey in itself that is amazing!

But it sure as heck doesn't hurt to have the mentality of a 14 year old at times, I tell you!

For me, I've already surpassed what I thought I could do when I started a meagre 6-7 months ago (low expectations? lol), and finding out like in ANY hobby I persue (martial arts, self edification of sciences, arts, health, music, mechanics or whatever), that the more you learn... the more you realize how little you know.

As long as I enjoy it, I will continue to slowly evolve and grow at my own pace. Let it take me where it wants, I don't care about the final destination... its the journey in itself that is amazing!

I'm kind of at the same spot. I start to get cocky with myself, reflecting on how much I know and how much I've learned. Then, before too much time has passed, someone drops a bomb on me and I feel like I know absolutely nothing (which is probably much closer to the truth). It's kinda discouraging when it first happens, but then you start learning more stuff and it just adds to the overall experience. I think being humbled over and over is all part of the hobby, and I love it.

Cool replies! Myself, I'd love to provide photos for the stories I like to tell. That's done easily enough, but I'd like for the photos to be what I consider 'fine art.' That's more of a challenge as I think that type of photography is done for the sake of art.

I've been lucky that all my life I've been able to eke out a bit of a living doing things I enjoy. Exercising the bits of talent I've been given. The last ten years I've done things I never imagined I would be able to do. The last three of those years I've studied the subject matter of the direction I've found my way on. It's time for me to step through the door and see what happens- all the way.

I want to take my photography as far as I possibly can. I tell stories, that are not just interesting to view but also informative. Photography is a powerful tool that if used right can excite, inform, and cause change.

This is why I am so passionte about photography. Every human understands basic emotions when they see them fear, happiness, distress, ect. Its a universal language that can reach everyone.

I certainly dont plan on making a living out of it, but I would like to produce a range of calenders with different themes when I upgrade my euqipment just so I can say that I achieved something on my own with my rules.

All the way baby! this is what i wanna do with my life... every other career option is just boring! Not too sure if ill ever be good enough though but we'll see after my photography degree.

I am getting my masters degree in social work, so I will be out there, doing good for the society. But photography will always be one of my main hobbies. As I keep improving, we'll see what happens. I wouldn't mind putting up my stuff in contests or exhibitions or papers or such.

i just want to have nice photos to frame and to only give credit to myself...selfish? nahhh

I want to sell pictures to amature bands and later on if they get big sell them :)

Or take pictures of famous skateboarders

Goal #1: Be able to use my own photographs as art for my place and have people be amazed when they ask "where did you get that?" and I explain that I took that particular picture.

Goal #2: To be able to put together several photo albums based on themes and styles.

Goal #3: Be asked to compose a picture that someone else will use as art on their walls.

Goal #4: Perhaps the most important... Have fun.

Sam

I have been sufficiently lucky to have done most of it. As well as most areas of photography, I have also done television and even live television, scriptwriting, producing, directing, camera work and on-location sound, ciné film, large multi-screen presentations with equipment set-ups that are 10 feet high, computer graphics, logos, and animation work. One of the few things I have not done yet is written a book on the area with a mass appeal and I am part way through that project at the moment.

skieur

Well, I wouldn't mind if situations came up that'd help me to finance the hobby justa little, but other than that I have no plans to leave the area of amateur-ship. I certainly don't want to be a professional. But an exhibition here or there and people using my photos for posters or parents buying prints off me seems nice enough.

Bhop says it nicely: "having fun and going with the flow" wanting to "be consistent". That seems to sum it all up well.

x2 here! :thumbup:

I'm getting a lot of good feedback from family and friends regarding my photos. If I could get to a standard where I could confidently go about selling a couple that would be great.

For the time being I'm just happy with peoples' comments and my own opinions on my work.

Close to finishing my medical degree so that has to take priority...

I'd like to be able to take a little more pride in the work I've done. Instead of having photos I feel so-so about, I want to look at them and be impressed with myself.

I think of nothing more than that, the pride of being able to do what others can do. There are 4 types of people with cameras in their hands.

1. Fully proffesional who earned a living by it.
2. A learner with the mind set to earn his living by it one day.
3. People who take pictures because they just like to do it - and they work to always improve the outcome.
4. People who bought camera just because everybody else (the crowd)have it so why not. It maybe useful one day.

Any idea of more than those 4 above?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back