How far ... ??

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by fzfile, Jun 6, 2005.

1. fzfile

fzfile TPF Noob!

This is another NYC detail.
    It was badly out of focus and a true "snap" shot.

I was hoping to get a "pigoen shot" (as well as a few other standards) when I went to the city. This was the only pigeon shot I took.

Anyway .... its a pretty small detail (less than 1/4 of the actual pic but there was a lot working against including any more of the pic .... totally off angle, tilted parking meter in the middle left, washhed out road taking too much on the right, out of focus entirely.

[​IMG]

I did a 100% sharpen w/ no denoise in Neat Image and the used Pixia (because I just cant get the hang of PS and I kind like the roughness of it) to tweak the tones .... especially the mids.

I tried mono but it definitley lost somthing.

I then did another 50% sharpen.

Its has a partially "painted look" which I like..... especially in the middle if the bird but then a lot of the rest of it doesnt .... it just kinda looks grainy and out of focus.

I kind of like the inbetweeness of the effect .... kind of what I was going for with the NYC window detail I posted before .... sort of a surreal-ness.... but my question is this....

Do you think I should take the "effected look" farther and make all or more of the picture kinda painted looking of does this partial or inbetween-ness work at all???

....... and is the composition ok??

-mike

2. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I think you said it right yourself, a snapshot it is...instead of trying to fix it why don't you try reshooting? I don't think any amount of work you can put it will really salvage this. Right now it looks oversharpened and really pixelated. I personally wouldn't pursue this any further, but would start over again, starting by taking the pic. Figure out what you did wrong with this and try again.

3. fzfile

fzfile TPF Noob!

Well .... when I have the opportunity to re-shoot, I definitely will.

I guess I'm not really trying to fix it so much as to just work with it and maybe abstract it a little.

But I appreciate what you are saying.
    I record music also and as the saying goes .... "you can polish a turd but you just end up with a shiny turd"

lol

Thanks for the input.

-mike

4. elsapo

elsapo TPF Noob!

I like the over-sharpened effect turning it more abstract. Problem is that you've got too much detail in the background and the view of the pigeon isn't the best -- it's akin to looking at the side/back of someone'e head.

I like trying to make it more abstract though. I over-sharpened something over the weekend, and it was interesting at least....

www.teamwetdog.com

5. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    The imperfection of the overall shot is what makes it work. Technical nit-picking this image takes away from it's art-like presentation - however accidental or purposeful. We instantly interact with the often experienced view of a pigeon flying or landing. It's habitat - the streets - is well depicted in the background. Our ability to have some eye-to-eye contact and the frozen and delicate tips of the wings - all pluses in this "snapshot".

Tuna

6. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ditto!

It would also be a nice experiment to see how this works in B&W, if you like.

7. fzfile

fzfile TPF Noob!

Thanks Tuna .... although I hadnt thought to express it that way, thats exactly why I was drawn to work with the shot as it was.

I like the shape of the bird ...... if you took a pure black sillohette (sp?) of the bird against a white background i think it would be an interesting and still recognisable image ..... hhhmmmm ...... now I'm going to have to try that.

Well here is a B&W version (balanced) ..... I think I like the color better but ....

[​IMG]

HHHmmmmmm ..... just had a thought.....

[​IMG]

How's that???

-mike

8. captain-spanky

captain-spanky TPF Noob!

i really like the image... :p

9. sfaribault

sfaribault TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit