How good is the video on DSLR

I'm getting Canon T4i. I'll be mostly filming my sons at bats at baseball games, portion of b-ball games, kids events, etc. It won't be really long performances. It sounds like it will do the job just fine. Thanks.

You're right, jw - I have shot with the T4i, and its autofocus will do just fine keeping up with kids. Here is an example: https://vimeo.com/50458853

Its touch screen autofocus is especially quick. One caveat - you will hear lens autofocus motor noise on your soundtrack - especially indoors - unless you use one of Canon's new STM lenses. If your budget permits, I highly recommend you get it with the 18-135mm STM lens. If your budget doesn't stretch that far, it may be worth $149 to pick up the 40mm STM as a second lens.

Happy shooting and best of the holidays,

Bill

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, I did end up going with the 18-135 STM lens.

The video from DSLRs is good enough that episodes of certain shows on TV have been made using them.

Canon 5D Mark II used to shoot entire House season finale, director says it's 'the future'
Be sure to mention they used $3.4M worth of lighting/sound/mixing/editing gear and $12,000 worth of accessories for the 5D MK II. :lol:

It's a TV series for a big network, of course they are going to use the amount of $ for lights and etc no matter what camera is used. The fact that HDSLR are able to shoot is showing everybody the capabilities of it. Now I'm sure they won't be using it long at the moment until they come out with better codec for the cameras. I'm sure they would rather shoot with the RED. But for people who's on a budget, HDSLR is a huge budget investment if you want similar qualities.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back