How Important is VR?

....every prime (fixed focal length) lens out there is a killer lens without having VR.

um... what? there a quite a few primes with VR

Apparently I worded that wrong. What I was saying is that pretty much every prime out there that doesn't have VR is still a killer lens.

Holding a camera still enough at 300mm to get a sharp shot without VR might be difficult, depending on the speed of the lens. In my opinion, VR is well worth it!

For me at 80 years VR is a necessity on any tele.

are you strictly tripod mounting?

if so.....you can get away without the VR (assuming we are comparing like lenses here and the effect of VR, not a old lens with a new one as well).

where you will really see the benefits of VR is when using it handheld, as it reduces vibration, as well as low light shots, which require a slightly longer shutter speed.

its well worth it for long lenses IMO.

NO, unfortunately at 80, even have difficulty carrying a carbon fibre monopod. Have a disabled right hand from frostbite in the Korean War. Wind chill temps to 100 degrees below zero in the mountains.

Wasn't to bad for years, but aging deteriorated the nerves and today have three fingers atrophied. Sometimes my wife carried the Mono-pod for me, but is not always with me. Got my first camera in 1936 and will never stop using a camera.

Most reactions

Back