How Important is ...

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by abraxas, Nov 7, 2008.

1. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Encouragement?

We've done critique ad nauseam--So, let's look at how important is encouragement, or lack thereof in your development as a photographer?

2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For the people of weaker personalities, little to no knowledge or low self esteem... it is CRITICAL that they receive it as regularly as a junkie get's their fix. For the people that are independent, strong and have a good self-image... it is as useless as a bad critique.

For the majority, it's somewhere in the middle between these two.

3. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No Jerry, you misunderstood, how important is it to you?

4. craig

craig TPF Noob!

For me it is very important. I find it helpful in my development as an artist. All of the great critiques that I have received have ended in encouragement by the crit giver. Or I have walked away with self encouragement.

Love & Bass

5. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry! :confused: :lmao:
    I definitely fall into the "useless as a bad critique" category. If someone says something, I will accept it politely, but I need absolutely zero encouragement in not just photography, but in anything that I do in life. I can fly through the good times, and pretty easily push through the hard times when others need someone to egg or cheer them on.

That said, in my personal life, with friends and family, I am the first one to pat them on the shoulder and say "well done!" or "that's ok, you'll get it next time, tiger!".

6. invisible

invisible Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To me encouragement is key, which is why I've always assumed that it's important to every "advanced beginner" like me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  7. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not important to me at all. For me the purpose of critique is to see whether others notice the same good points and bad points that I see in the photo. If they missed something major, then that reduces the value of their critique accordingly. Occasionally, they spot something that I missed and that makes it very worthwhile. :D

skieur

8. rubbertree

rubbertree TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    for me it's not all that important, though of course it's always nice to hear that people appreciate your work. I'm a pretty private person though and don't like posting too much stuff. However, I have an amateur photographer friend who thrives on encouragement and praise, she seems desperate for it. I mean, I do not need to see pictures of your supper or your kids doing their homework, yet, she likes to show people with the obvious intent of getting praise on the photography.

9. christopher walrath

christopher walrath No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't require encouragement and the criticism I respond ot most is my own. All I need is film and fixer.

10. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Dont really need it myself. I have had to be totally independent since I was young so that may have something to do with that.

11. abraxas

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's good that a couple see the value in encouragement in positive development. I find encouragement motivational. I believe I do my best work in a positive frame of mind rather than considering negative criticisms and their sources. No psychodrama, statistical analysis or hoodoo to it, just free creativity and expression. I also think that encouragement opens the door to discussion of artistic expression with peers.

12. CrazyEye

CrazyEye TPF Noob!

It depends. Sometimes I feel full of creativity and love to shoot just to shoot. At other times, if I'm in a slump and someone praises your photos it is feels great. To see someone's eyes light up when they talk about your photography is very rewarding and motivating.