How is Adorama with Shipping?

I have ordered from both Adorama and B&H in equal measure but mostly from Adorama recently because of how they have helped me on the last few inquiries. As an aside, if you call for Sales, I can recommend Fred Wasser @ extention 2259. The minor incidencies I've had from either retailer were taken care of immediately and quite professionally.

I just wished both would use FedEx as their main transporter...... I despise UPS. Anyone remember the old Samsonite and gorilla commercials? Same same.

I would also like to give an appreciation to both Adorama and B&H for keeping an ear to the ground here on TPF. In my mind, it goes along with trying to satisfy their customers.

I have ordered from both Adorama and B&H in equal measure but mostly from Adorama recently because of how they have helped me on the last few inquiries. As an aside, if you call for Sales, I can recommend Fred Wasser @ extention 2259. The minor incidencies I've had from either retailer were taken care of immediately and quite professionally.
I would also like to give an appreciation to both Adorama and B&H for keeping an ear to the ground here on TPF. In my mind, it goes along with trying to satisfy their customers.

Thank you for your kind words; I have passed your feedback on to Fred's manager, who is, of course, delighted.

Thank you again.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]

www.adoramacamera.com

Well, since you seem to be watching this thread, I do have a request of Adorama.....

I'd like to preorder prints, but unfortunately for us "starving photographers" or just plain poor people, we have to preorder in groups of $50. There are plenty of times I would have liked to preorder when I had a spare amount in my pocket so I could print some 8x10s or send a group of 4x6s for the wife, but to the "poor", $50 isn't exactly a small spare amount. Not only that, but I have no idea what I would do preordering 500+ 4x6 or 25-50 8x10 prints as that is a lot of prints.

My request is to have a bit smaller amount available for preordering. I'm not even thinking about the preordering during the sale prices on prints, but that would also be good. I don't order prints because of the economic times and usually just come across a small amount of "extra" now and then that I would probably preorder because I have the money available "now" as opposed to trying to come up with the money at the time I have prints I'd like done.

Just a thought since you seem to be lurking the thread at the moment.

Well, since you seem to be watching this thread, I do have a request of Adorama.....

I'd like to preorder prints, but unfortunately for us "starving photographers" or just plain poor people, we have to preorder in groups of $50. There are plenty of times I would have liked to preorder when I had a spare amount in my pocket so I could print some 8x10s or send a group of 4x6s for the wife, but to the "poor", $50 isn't exactly a small spare amount. Not only that, but I have no idea what I would do preordering 500+ 4x6 or 25-50 8x10 prints as that is a lot of prints.

My request is to have a bit smaller amount available for preordering. I'm not even thinking about the preordering during the sale prices on prints, but that would also be good. I don't order prints because of the economic times and usually just come across a small amount of "extra" now and then that I would probably preorder because I have the money available "now" as opposed to trying to come up with the money at the time I have prints I'd like done.

Just a thought since you seem to be lurking the thread at the moment.

Thank you for taking the time to make the suggestion - it seems reasonable to me, but I'm so much on the side of our customers I'd probably just give everything away, if I could (which is why I lurk on the forums - because they won't let me into the sales office!!).

Seriously, I don't know the answer, but I've passed your suggestion on to our Director at AdoramaPix, and will report back as soon as I get a response from him.

Sincerely

Helen Oster

[email protected]

www.adoramacamera.com

Dear Helen,
You are awesome! When (if) the NZ dollar gains some strength and camera stuff in the US becomes cheaper than here I'll be going to Adorama to buy my stuff. Just because you're great!

I love this thread :)

Upon investigating the circumstances of your order, I discovered that the problem is that you chose the standard shipping option - which is 5-7 days.

Had you chosen (and paid for) a faster option, you would certainly have received your order faster.

As you are aware from the tracking information, your order was scheduled to be delivered today (Monday), but you were not available to receive it.

Sincerely

Helen Oster

[email protected]
www.adoramacamera.com

I'm sorry you've developed this misapprehension. We endeavor to ship all orders within one business day of receiving them Most orders ship via UPS and your options include overnight and 2-day rush in addition to 3-day select and ground (of you're in no hurry but want the least expensive option). Other options include FedEx and USPS.

Then you guys shouldn't be offering that kind of shipping option. Let's say shipping costs $5 for this 5-7 business day shipping, and you looked at my address and say, oh look the customer lives in Los Angeles, we have someone going out there on official business in 3 weeks and maybe they can deliver it! So you call me up and offer 3-week shipping for $1. Would 3 week shipping be what I had ordered? Yes. Should you offer it? No - it's way too slow.

I once had a package from UPS (one I shipped to myself incidentally) be delayed because the train it was on had a mechanical failure. If it takes longer to be shipped because of something like that, then OK. But that's not why it's taking so long to be shipped. If your customer lives on the East Coast, ground is OK, because they would get it by the end of the week. But if they live on the West Coast, air transport is necessary in order to keep the shipment from being slow.

Here's how internet shipping works - there's 1-day shipping for emergencies, 2-day shipping for rich people, 3-day basic shipping (sometimes free) offered by the best of sellers, 4-5 day basic shipping (sometimes free) offered by the rest of the crop, and slow shipping offered by customer service representatives who like to pass the buck to either the customer (didn't buy an upgrade) or to UPS. Oh but you do offer 3-day shipping? If it isn't your cheapest option, I don't want it, ergo the "basic" label above.

Any store's used department is stocked from returns, open-box/demo items purchased from our suppliers and merchandise sold to us by customers who want to get rid of what they don't need and/or are upgrading. Our used dept buyers work daily to maintain an wide range of products, but in general they can't call Nikon or Canon and simply say, "We'd like to order 50 pieces of this-or-that used, please."

No, you obviously can't. I am simply remarking on the observation that, right now I see a 50 f/1.8, 55 macro f/2.8, 28 f/2.8, 60 f/2.8, 85 f/1.8, and other light, cheap Nikkor AF primes here:

Lenses

while over at B&H I see a 28 f/2.8, a 24 f/2.8, aannnnnd...... that's it for light, cheap Nikkor AF primes here:

Used SLR Camera Lenses | B&H Photo Video

However that came to be isn't important to the consumer - I don't care if more customers return items to Adorama, or if the manufacturers seem to like Adorama more and pass them more used items and it's not really B&H's fault. I just don't care - the offerings of each store are what they are and I will buy from the store that has what I want at the time I am in the market.

Last edited:
I bought a tripod, head, battery grip for my D300 and softbox from Adorama just before Christmas (all in one order), and everything was at my door (in Toronto) in 2 business days in perfect order. I've only ordered from them once, but I couldn't be happier with their service so far.

Placed a big order last friday with 2-3 day shipping, assuming they dont ship on holidays (monday) It should get here wed or thurs.

I had previously ordered from B%H, came pretty quick but I recieved a recipt for some guy in Kazhakastan (or something like that) that was like $4,000 worth of canon stuff. Wasn't a big deal, but I thought it was sorta wierd.

blash... wow... dude... seriously... :lol:

For what it's worth, I ordered a lens (70-200 Tamron) from B&H yesterday at around Noon. It's out for delivery (on the brown truck) today. Free shipping. Can't beat that.. can't yet speak for Adorama, except to say I placed an order with them and subsequently canceled it; when I called to cancel it, the rep I spoke with was very rushed and borderline rude on the phone.

For what it's worth, I ordered a lens (70-200 Tamron) from B&H yesterday at around Noon. It's out for delivery (on the brown truck) today. Free shipping. Can't beat that.. can't yet speak for Adorama, except to say I placed an order with them and subsequently canceled it; when I called to cancel it, the rep I spoke with was very rushed and borderline rude on the phone.

I apologize that you didn't receive the standard of service that we expect from our sales staff.
Please advise me of the date and time of your call, plus the number you called from; this will enable us to locate the tape of the call, and address the matter with the member of staff concerned.

Again my apologies, and I look forward to hearing from you: [email protected].

Sincerely

Helen Oster

[email protected]

www.adoramacamera.com

I do have a request of Adorama.....

I'd like to preorder prints, but unfortunately for us "starving photographers" or just plain poor people, we have to preorder in groups of $50......My request is to have a bit smaller amount available for preordering. I'm not even thinking about the preordering during the sale prices on prints, but that would also be good.

Well, I have an answer back, but it isn't what you wanted to hear I'm afraid; I've been told that it just wouldn't be economic for us to offer smaller quantities - I am sorry.

Sincerely

Helen Oster

[email protected]

www.adoramacamera.com

Most reactions

Back