How is this done?

realitycheck3907

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I tried to search stop motion, but came up with the wrong thing. Alright so my question is how do you all stop the motion of cars, motorcycles, or even birds in flight. I think it has to do with a fast shutter speed. I have seen tons of photos on here where even the tires on cars and motorcycles are stopped and you can see the tread. So what do I need to know about practicing this??
Any help you can give is appreciated. Thanks

I know thats how I freeze anything is increase the shutter speed, but Im not a fan of the look. Race cars tend to look like they are parked and not moving at all. Im pretty sure you'll need a bright day too.

A good lens with a large aperature like an F2.8 (larger opening), will allow for a faster shutter speed. It also helps to pan with the object. I shoot a lot of indoor sports and use a 70-200 F2.8 with image stabilazation.

fast shutter speed. think above 1/500 unless something is coming directly toward you at which time you could use a lower option.

It depends on what length lens you are using, in which way the object is moving, how much you want the object to fill the frame, and, of course, how fast the object is moving.

Here's an example. Say you're using a 200mm lens and you want to an F1 car to completely fill the frame. You need a shutter speed of 1/200 just to get rid of camera shake (on average), so in order to completely freeze the action, you'll probably need a shutter speed of about 1/1000 to freeze everything. However, if that same F1 car is 100m away and you're using a 20mm lens, a SS of 1/5 might do acceptably.

In general, select Shutter-priority mode (either "S" or "Tv") and choose the highest shutter speed you can without losing quality. An ISO of about 400 and a "fast" lens (f/2.8 is generally very fast for telephoto lenses) will also help. It also helps to pan the photograph a little as well ("follow" the car with your camera) just in case the shutter speed is too slow.

Alright well I the lowest I have is 3.5 aperature on a 35-80 mm. My 70-300 mm is only 4 Aperature.
How does a larger aperature make a lens faster, very confused by what fast means?

fast in the term means how large is the aperture opening. a 2.8 is a fast lens as it allows more light than an f4 lens, etc.

it seems your confusing shutter speeds, which can be fast with apertures, very understandable for a beginner.

most modern cameras these days have very fast shutter speeds available 1/2000 or even faster and we tend not to use the term "fast" when taking about a fast lens

fast in the term means how large is the aperture opening. a 2.8 is a fast lens as it allows more light than an f4 lens, etc.

it seems your confusing shutter speeds, which can be fast with apertures, very understandable for a beginner.

most modern cameras these days have very fast shutter speeds available 1/2000 or even faster and we tend not to use the term "fast" when taking about a fast lens

To add on to what Ann said, "fast" as in a fast lens means that it lets in more light (larger aperture) so the image can be recorded faster. More light means that your shutter speed can be faster while you capture the same amount of light. The faster shutter speed is what freezes action.

In order to use those faster shutter speeds you need either a "faster" lens that will let in more light or a "faster" film speed (ISO) so that the film/sensor will respond to lower levels of light "faster."

Hopefully this makes sense.

If you have the cash I recommend you purchase the book "Understanding Exposure, Revised Edition", by Bryan Peterson.

It's a great book, lots of examples, and laymens terms for alot of photography information. The general synopsis is that there is a pyramid which surronds exposure. The three points are ISO, Shutter speed, and Aperture.

To get a proper exposure you need to get a fairly exact amount of light onto the film or sensor. When using slow shutter speeds you typically want to use a smaller aperture. The reason for this is that the shutter is open so long, you want to limit the amount of light coming in or you will end up with an overexposed image.

Conversly, with a fast shutter speed such as 1/1000 the shutter is open for so little you need to obtain the light quicker by opening the aperture up, letting more light in, in that small amount of time.

Hope that makes sense, i'm not sure if it does looking back at it 8P

Thanks guys for the help. I went and bought the book you suggested Jesse. I had actually already looked at this book on books a millions website someone else suggested it somewhere else in another thread I was reading. I had forgot about it though, so thanks for reminding me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back