How is this done?

Yeah I saw that, looks interesting. The house I was shooting was selling for $65 mil, but they definately didnt pay me enough to bring in lights within their two hour limit. But will keep that in mind!!!

I liked tirediron's point. That was my main concern too. I can live with the shadows because its natural, but no reflections on anything, must be a lot of work in post. Or maybe even a polarizer?

I liked tirediron's point. That was my main concern too. I can live with the shadows because its natural, but no reflections on anything, must be a lot of work in post. Or maybe even a polarizer?
Just careful light placement. Or just take a second shot without the light on for the TV and merge it in later.

But as far as lighting, what do you mean? Is he using flash or just setting up light stands? Seems like a lot of work if moving from room to room.
You so funny!

Flash doesn't always have to be on light stands, and are you making some vague differential between speedlights and studio type flash?

And OF COURSE it's a lot of work. Why do you think the pros charge money for this kind of work?

You can get close to that look by incresing contrast a bit and then sharpening with wide radius.
The shadows don't disappear but the images look semi-surreal.

You have your profile set to no allow editing or I'd post a try.

... the ones he linked to are lit. ;)
Sorry, not buying it. At least not 100%. I'm sure the photographer has used supplemental lighting, but the exposures on the windows, television sets, and so forth are too perfect, and too even regardless of the direction. I will bet Derrel's D3x that there's a lot of HDR-esque work in them. They're excellent images, but it's not all lighting. IMO

... the ones he linked to are lit. ;)
Sorry, not buying it. At least not 100%. I'm sure the photographer has used supplemental lighting, but the exposures on the windows, television sets, and so forth are too perfect, and too even regardless of the direction. I will bet Derrel's D3x that there's a lot of HDR-esque work in them. They're excellent images, but it's not all lighting. IMO
First, I didn't say it was all lighting, although it very well could be. You can adjust your exposure with the lights to compensate for the outside lighting (within reason). Depending on the time of day and the direction you're shooting you could light the inside and get a perfect exposure of the outside. High end real estate and architectural photographers use a combination of lights and exposure blending. It's not just HDR. They also know to scope out the home for the times of day and shooting angles that will work best with the homes position relative to the sun.

Hey, just messed around in lightroom for a few minutes and did a decent job. Could be better with strobes, but lightroom does help a lot. Like I said it was a quick edit, so... yeah. Noise reduction helped a bit, but may have effected the image quality in the couch and such, but I think the overall look is better. Still a work in progress
P1030151_2_3_4_5_6_7_fused copy.jpg

Wouldnt the brightest exposure comp help with this as well? (Eliminating shadows)
Adding or subtracting Exposure Compensation will affect the entire scene.
While shadows can be made brighter, the already bright parts of the scene will also be brighter an equal amount.

Many DSLR camera have a feature in the camera software that can brighten the shadows while not brightening the already bright parts of the scene.
Nikon calls their feature that does that - Active D-Lighting.
Photography Lighting | Active D-Lighting Great for Cameras from Nikon from Nikon

Most reactions

New Topics

Back