How is this lighting achieved?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by jakie8, Sep 1, 2009.

1. jakie8

jakie8 TPF Noob!

Hi everyone, I just joined and I am looking forward to talking to you all on this forum!

Here for instance, is a photograph of some guy I found. How did Miss Kay achieve the straight black background but a well lit man? What kind of area could she have been in? Is this photoshopped at all? other than to desaturate a bit I am assuming...

Here is the image:

[​IMG]

2. GeneralBenson

GeneralBenson TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's a combination of a lot of things. But for starters, I'll just assume that you don't know that you shouldn't post someone else's photo anywhere. It's copyright infringement. The proper thing to do if to link back to the place that they had it displayed.

Moving on. It's more likely shot on a black background, possibly velvet since it's so completely black. But it is possible to do that sort of this with any color, by controlling light to background distances. If the background is far enough away then the lights that are lighting the subject won't reach the background. Just go out in a parking lot or sports field, and light you subject however you want. Keep the shot on the upper portion of the person, and keep the camera angle low and straight on, that way none of the ground is in the picture fo the first 30-40 feet. That way since the first thing in the picture besides him is so far away, it will be totally black.

3. jakie8

jakie8 TPF Noob!

Ah, thank you for informing me on the copyright infringement, I'll be sure to link back from now on.

And I highly doubt they used a flash on their camera, what is the average type eof light source in an image like this? Sorry for being such a n00b!

:]

4. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like several strobes or studio lights were used. A softbox or octobox to the left of the subject (camera right), another one from high on the left side of the subject (camera right) and possibly a bare strobe from the back-right side of the subject (camera left) for a rim light affect on the right side of the subject.

Lighting Schemes

StudioStyles

Lighting 102: 1.2 Position | Distance

Strobist

Strobist: Lighting 101

Strobist: Lighting 102

5. mrs.hutch

mrs.hutch TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    is it copyright infringement if he didnt claim the picture as his own? also the watermark is intact... id say ur ok as long as u dont change the photo or claim it as ur own.

but hey - im not a lawyer

6. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Actually, it's in the Forum Rules and Regulations that a forum member agrees not to port an image that isn't his/hers.

From the Forum Rules and Regulations: "* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated."

7. jakie8

jakie8 TPF Noob!

Thank you all, you have been very helpful. I'll try not to get sued!

-Jacob

8. mariusz

mariusz TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    back light and side light - nice lighting.

9. GeneralBenson

GeneralBenson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it still is because you're still using and replicating someone else's image without their consent.

10. GeneralBenson

GeneralBenson TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not side light, Rembrandt light. The triangle on the camera left cheek is a tell tale sign.

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Almost side. The triangle could come from just a simple strobe camera right, feathered and angled. The light on the cheek is spill past the nose.

12. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not a question of getting sued... it is a question of forum rules and etiquette, Jacob. Posting someone else's work is not permitted.