How is this photo? Too bright???

hankejp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking for a bit of advice. Looking at this picture that was recently taken, I was wondering what you tihnk of this picture. I'm not sure if it's a little bright and shoul've been darkend a bit or what.

Thanks

2826594740_91052d4f8c_b.jpg

by the shadows it looks like it was early afternoon, around 1:30 maybe? And the sun was just overhead. The sunny 16 rule would apply which means aperture set to f/16 and shutter speed of 1/125 and ISO 100 should get it pretty close. No idea what your settings were, but yeah, it looks a little bright on the equipment.

I agree with john. It is a bit bright and harsh, and maybe undercontrasted. I can show you what to do in PP if you'll allow me.

It looks properly exposed to me. It's just taken in the bright midday sun which is always going to be somewhat harsh. If you have the software, you can lower the exposure a half stop or so and see how that looks to you.

Really nice scene though. Get yourself a circular polarizer and it would probably have made that scene pop.

BTW, you have some schmootz on your sensor- look at the sky in the upper right. (and I hope that line on the left is a power line- you should clone that out.)

I agree with john. It is a bit bright and harsh, and maybe undercontrasted. I can show you what to do in PP if you'll allow me.

I would like to see what can be done with the picture. A couple of dumb questions, but what is PP and where can I find all these rules? I found the rule of thirds. Is there somewhere on this site that has the rules of photography?

Thanks for all the comments.

I would like to see what can be done with the picture. A couple of dumb questions, but what is PP and where can I find all these rules? I found the rule of thirds. Is there somewhere on this site that has the rules of photography?

Thanks for all the comments.

PP=post processing (editing in photoshop or gimp, etc.)

On rules? Yack. Good luck. :lol:

I was thinking about this earlier today. There have to be 100 or so things I go through in my head with nearly every shot I take while on a site. The 100 or so things differ with each shot, each site, each situation, etc. They come out of a stock of thousands. :lol:

I'm exagerating, yes, but the thing is there is a lot. Photography (IMO) is something you really just need to struggle with. A lot of picture taking, a lot of mistakes, a lot of small lessons.

PP=post processing (editing in photoshop or gimp, etc.)

On rules? Yack. Good luck. :lol:

I was thinking about this earlier today. There have to be 100 or so things I go through in my head with nearly every shot I take while on a site. The 100 or so things differ with each shot, each site, each situation, etc. They come out of a stock of thousands. :lol:

I'm exagerating, yes, but the thing is there is a lot. Photography (IMO) is something you really just need to struggle with. A lot of picture taking, a lot of mistakes, a lot of small lessons.

Thanks for the answers Manaheim. I do have Photoshop and lowered the brightness of the picture. It looks a lot better. That picture was taken arount 5:30 P.M. too. I lowered the brightness -26 and looks a ton better.

Thanks for the answers Manaheim. I do have Photoshop and lowered the brightness of the picture. It looks a lot better. That picture was taken arount 5:30 P.M. too. I lowered the brightness -26 and looks a ton better.

Well, post the new version so we can see!

Maybe a little too dark, there. In the end you're shot by the simple fact that the scene had some harsh lighting... no matter what you do, that will cause you some issues.

Like I said, look into a circular polarizer. It's relatively short money that does wonders with situations like this. If you're curious of the effect, look at this thread where I posted some pics I took with one:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136887

Maybe a little too dark, there. In the end you're shot by the simple fact that the scene had some harsh lighting... no matter what you do, that will cause you some issues.

Like I said, look into a circular polarizer. It's relatively short money that does wonders with situations like this. If you're curious of the effect, look at this thread where I posted some pics I took with one:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136887

So those pictures were with the circular polarizer used? They look great.

So those pictures were with the circular polarizer used? They look great.

Yessir. The cut down harsh reflections, increase saturation of colors and just generally "dim" a bright scene.

I've been looking online at the polarizers. I see a bunch with different mm's. What is the difference in these? I've tried googling what the sizes mean, but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks

Most reactions

Back