How long do you take??

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After you go out and shoot a client or just for yourself. How long do you typically wait before processing those images?

Do you always have some images that you need to be working on?

Does it bother you to have images that need to be processed but you have other things that you have to get done first?

I shot a cheer competition on Saturday and have a few hundred images to get processed but then I got up early Sunday and went with a friend to shoot a personal project for both of us. I want to edit the personal project images first but I really need to get the cheer images out there for the parents.

Just wondering what others do?

It really depends. I generally work in the order they were taken, but if a particular client needs something rushed, or personal images that I'm especially excited about I'll occasionally jump the queue. If I have nothing already in progress, then I generally start the day after shooting.

Whatever I want whenever I want! lol But really, if I was doing something for someone else, I'd probably look thru mine, then put those aside and get busy on what I need to get done.

I usually download after I've been out shooting a set or series of photos (or get my film ready to send in) the next day or so. But I took a lot of photos over the holidays etc. so now I keep thinking I need to get the media card out of the camera, and instead I keep putting it off...

Some of the time issue I think should probably be telling you that you shot too many images. I don't know how long this event was, and I realize that's what a lot of people do, but shooting a huge number of images means it's going to take forever to go thru them much less do any editing.

I'd suggest figuring out how to streamline picture taking at an event so you can get more efficient with your process. I know that pros shooting sports these days may have to have images ready to go on a website before the game's even done, which allows for little to no editing. I learned to shoot expecting I could use most of what I've taken. I usually don't expect to need to do much if any editing. So with sports and events I think time consideration needs to come into it.

I don't have customers. Sometimes I shoot a project because that is when I have the opportunity and might wait months to process them. Other times I am shooting for an exhibition and those shots will get processed over the next few days.

Depends, I did some headshots for my sis and one of my friends for their CV, that I got to them in 3 days. My own shots can lie, I've still got some processing from the summer I've been meaning to do! in fact I'm pretty sure I've got shots from 5 years ago that I never quite got to.

Quite often I find my shots improve with age, while the memory is recent I can be a bit picky if they are not perfect, as time goes on I forget about the wee niggles.

When I shoot sports I get on it right when I get home. I find most people want it by the next morning or their interest goes away pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the responses. In all honesty, I do them in order too. The cheer competition was about 700-800 photos and I have them down loaded and some basic editing done. The most time consuming part is the cropping/straightening and any needed touch ups.

Funny because I got a rush job yesterday afternoon that had to go in front of the cheer stuff and my personal stuff. Should have it finished up tonight and then I can get back on the other stuff.

One thing I always do is give the client a much longer timeline than I actually anticipate. If I think it's a 4-5 day job, I tell them 1-2 weeks. That way I have lots of breathing room, and 99% of the time I deliver ahead of schedule.

I agree @tirediron. This rush job I told them it would be wednesday evening but I am going to have it done by tonight, unless they need something else that they haven't told me yet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back