How many batteries do you have?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For example: Wedding Photographers,

Do you bring your battery charger? How many camera bodies do you bring and how many batteries for each body?

Do you ever find yourself running low on batteries and need to charge some while at the events?

I dont do anything professional or get paid but I have the Canon Rebel XTi and I have a battery grip, total of 4 batteries.

I have 4 batteries for my two camera bodies...plus an older one that does work but has a much lower capacity. One Canon and three off-brand with a higher capacity.

I could probably go a whole day of shooting on one battery per camera...but my primary body will usually show the battery at 'half power' later in the day, so I swap that one to be safe. My secondary battery usually stays at full power on the meter. I wish the cameras had a more accurate battery meter.

It would probably be smart to have a charger with me...but I wouldn't have time to charge a battery so having a charged up spare is essential. It's also good to have more than one spare because you never know when one will crap out on you, or you might forget to charge one or two of them.

With a grip and two batteries...you could probably shoot all day with no problems. Bigger lenses and ones with IS, will use more power than others though.

For my flash, I have 4 sets of AA rechargeables that are all charged up and ready to go. I don't often use my 2nd flash so I don't bother bringing additional spare batteries. If I used a 2nd flash often, I'd add another set or two.

I carry 2 bodies and three Nikon batteries. One in each body and a spare. I have my extra charger with me just incase. But I also carry a dozen or so extra AAs with a car charger.

A Nikon battery, one after market battery with higher capacity used both in my grip at the same time.

I take AAs and the adapter with me where I expect a gig to outlast my battery life.

Four batteries for two bodies; although I rarely (read: Never if I can possibly avoid it) shoot weddings, for any event of that sort, I always have my charger handy as well as my wet-cell rectifier in case I can't find any available outlets into which I can plug my charger. For the flash, I usually bring several dozen AAs (the SB800 eats five at a time, and after about 75 exposures, I find the cycle time getting long for my liking). I buy Wal-Mart brand AAs which I find to have just as much life as Energizer or Duracell for a fraction of the cost.

For example: Wedding Photographers,

Just get a small diesel generator and an AC adapter for the camera and flash; that way people won't gripe about your shutter being too loud. :greenpbl:

This is one of the nice things about film - by the time I need to change a battery, I've gone through so much film and chemistry that the battery cost is insignificant. Unfortunately, it also takes so long that I have no idea what battery I need by that time and have to remember to pull it out and write down the identifiers before heading to the store.

For the digitals, I try to keep two changes in addition to the fresh ones in the cameras, and carry an AC adapter for each in case I have the opportunity to plug in. It's no problem to yank the cord out and move if I need to, but if I can stay in one place for a while, I don't have to keep an eye on the battery meter.

For my current camera, allot. More than the number of fingers and toes I have. But I'm only using 6. I mostly have 3 and sometimes 4 batteries for a given camera though. This cam is a special case.

I have 2 for my main camera, and about 5 for my backup, but I don't bring them all with me to a wedding.

a grip and 4 batteries will certainly let you shoot for a good long time! :)
I personally have 2 batteries only with the 400D and I find that more than enough most days. I do intend to get a grip at some point to get that little bit extra out of my batteries, but I am not finding myself pressured to get one (not got giant hands ;))

Well.....I do not have a Canon but I have a Kodak C330 zoom. I to have the problem with going through a dozen batteries but I have two solutions that have helped save on batteries.

Use Energizer titanium technology. They work for photographers who like to take more than one picture under a minute.

Another I enjoy to have long lasting batteries is recharging batteries...the one's you put in the capsule that come with the batteries.

I hope this will help!:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back