How many enhance?

Vinnie90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just curious, how many of you enhance your photos? I'm using iPhoto 08, what's your thought on it? Thanks.

Haha. Well, it depends what you mean by 'enhance'...

I tweak things like contrast and saturation (well, curves on photoshop) on anything I print.

I'm a photoshop addict, and I spend more time and effort in post processing than taking my pics, but I'm hoping that will change somewhat with a DSLR.

It depends what I'm trying to do. Some things are decidedly photography, while other are (I don't know if this is the right term) manipulations.

OK. So I guess I am an 'enhancer'.

As for iPhoto... I've never used it. I don't have/use Macs. Yet, anyways...

I do a few little things to pics sometimes, usually just a slight sharpen if it needs it, brightness & contrast, it it needs it.

Im using Ulead PhotoImpact at pres for that sorta thing (a pretty old version of it)

I "develop" my RAW data myself, hence I do not need to compensate (=enhance) for poor automatic in-camera RAW->JPG conversion ;)

Slight adjustments of crop and such I do in postprocessing though. Also, after scaling to the desired size, I sharpen.

hmm for myself if first convert the RAW (not in the fancy way Alex does ;)) and then after then saturation, levels and brightness can be altered depending on the shot and then often reducing noise followed by unsharpen mask (sharpening).

However I have been know to go further and play around with editing backgrounds so they are more blurred and cloning out the odd twige (tried cloning out bars once - didn't work too well). Aside from the odd twige I don't really consider large edits "true" though and will mention on a shot when I have editied it like that - because in the end I want to get the nice blurr direct from camera.

In the end you just have to workout your own limits of skills and your own limits as to how far you are prepared to edit a shot

Just curious, how many of you enhance your photos? I'm using iPhoto 08, what's your thought on it? Thanks.
The "Enhance" function is ideal for under-exposed shots from my wife's P&S. Haven't found a need for it with SLR shots.

I find that the "enhance" menu option in Paint Shop Pro can be a fast means of checking a photo. Comparing the "enhanced' to the original can point out to the photographer that a shadow is too dark or the colour is too cool toward the blue etc. Then I can consider making changes.

skieur

im also guilty of having a photoshop addiction, as it;s what i use all day everyday for my job....so yes, i usually enhance anything im looking for a final version of...if it;s just for an email or something, i will most likely just send...but to post up here, print, frame, or whatever...yeah...i PP

I mainly shoot in RAW so I do have to "enhance" my photos. Contrast, sharpness, saturation are the usual. Sometimes I'll add some extra stuff in PS like vinetting, artistic touches, level adjustments....etc.

Most reactions

Back