How many megapixels = 35mm film?

I have 2MF, a dozen 35mm and 8 & 6 mp DSLR cameras. IMO my 6mp 10Dl is already better that 35mm film.

THORHAMMER said:
the real awnser is a 35mm sensor will match film the best. Currently none are that large.

hi ThorHammer - there is one now with a 35mm sensor , but i forget who is making it...check dpreview

In order for me to understand what you guys are comparing to, What is an A0 or A3 print???

It's not really possible to compare them easily. Why? Well, film enlarged using traditional methods is a chemical process which yields very subtle results. It's easy to compare a negative scan, but this can vary technology wise from about 2MP to well over 50MP, depending on how closely resolved the scan was.

An 8MP camera can print a shot quite large, but what is acceptably large is entirely debateable. There is a load of crap talked on various websites about how big a 300dpi enlargement is going to be. The simple answer I would say is that a 20D compares very favourably with 35mm negative film when enlarged to sizes of easily A3. I've done this myself.

I am aware that plenty of people have printed A0 and other "poster" sizes with smaller MP cameras happily. I've also seen shots which are awful at web size.... The individual picture makes a big difference!

Rob

According to the magazine Popular Photography, the results of their tests from a while a go were.

In comparison with film:

5 megapixels produced an excellent 4 x 6 and an acceptable 8 X 10

8 megapixels produced an excellent 8 X 10 and an acceptable 11 X 14

10 to 12 megapixels produced an excellent 11 X 14 and an acceptable
16 X 20

14 to 16 megapixels produced an excellent 16 X 20

Of course, there are also current software approaches to making enlargements without reducing resolution and the environment in which the photo is placed as well as the location of the viewer will affect the apparent quality of the enlargement as well.

skieur

Most reactions

New Topics

Back