Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I have several

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • I do not have any and do not want any

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • I do not have any and contemplate getting one

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Damn , I messed up the poll. The last option is supposed to say "I do not have any but contemplate getting one"
Fixed it for you, punkin. :)

None here, and only mildly tempted many moons ago - like someone else was saying, I could never decide on anything that permanent, so blew it off.

I have over 50 hours worth of tattoo work done (currently I'm taking a break for a while, but that may not last long). I have tattoos on my chest, stomach, back, arms, neck, and my left hand.

The chest hurt the most. I regret the one on my hand.

Last edited:
I've got one on my back. Got it in grad school during my pagan phase (well, not that there isn't still a pagan hippie inside me, but these days candles are more often for nice-smelling rooms than anything else ;) ) It's a snake eating its tail with some runes. Not big - maybe the size of a silver dollar. I don't regret getting it, but sometimes I wish I'd gotten it in a place that I could see it without looking in a mirror. It's just above my bra strap. I wanted it in a centered, balanced position on my body but did NOT want a tramp stamp, and didn't want it on my stomach or chest, so on the back it went. It hurt for sure, but not as badly as I thought it would hurt, and there were a few sections that I honestly barely felt at all.

What I would love to do but just haven't gotten around to it yet is to modify it and turn it into a compass rose. And instead of putting the fleur de lis that usually marks North on a compass on the back, I'd put it on the inside of my left wrist - just small so my watch could hide it if I really needed to hide it, but that I could see it and be reminded of what's on my back. The hold up is saving money and finding a place that I trust will do a good job. Buzz really doesn't like the idea of tattoos at all, and I'm sure he'd rather me just leave it alone, but he also knows that if I need to do it for myself, then I'm going to do it. I feel a little bad doing something I know he doesn't like, but ultimately, I have to do this for myself. I believe in talismans and symbols and ritual, and for me, tattoos are a way to carry those talismans with me at all times to help keep me centered and grounded.

I'd be outta the chair as soon as I saw the needle.

I wonder if someone gets one done when they're relatively young, are they thinking about how it will look later on? I would not today want any of the hairstyles or clothing that I wore in my 20's - no clogs, no cruel shoes, no school bus yellow fish nets, no bell bottoms (well Ok maybe some flares but not in red and white stripes w/stars).
The way I see it is that I'm going to look gross when I'm old no matter what. And each one will have memories attached to it, that way when my memory isn't so good I will be able to look at my tattoos and be reminded of times when I was young.

I've got one on my back. Got it in grad school during my pagan phase (well, not that there isn't still a pagan hippie inside me, but these days candles are more often for nice-smelling rooms than anything else ;) ) It's a snake eating its tail with some runes. Not big - maybe the size of a silver dollar. I don't regret getting it, but sometimes I wish I'd gotten it in a place that I could see it without looking in a mirror. It's just above my bra strap. I wanted it in a centered, balanced position on my body but did NOT want a tramp stamp, and didn't want it on my stomach or chest, so on the back it went. It hurt for sure, but not as badly as I thought it would hurt, and there were a few sections that I honestly barely felt at all.

What I would love to do but just haven't gotten around to it yet is to modify it and turn it into a compass rose. And instead of putting the fleur de lis that usually marks North on a compass on the back, I'd put it on the inside of my left wrist - just small so my watch could hide it if I really needed to hide it, but that I could see it and be reminded of what's on my back. The hold up is saving money and finding a place that I trust will do a good job. Buzz really doesn't like the idea of tattoos at all, and I'm sure he'd rather me just leave it alone, but he also knows that if I need to do it for myself, then I'm going to do it. I feel a little bad doing something I know he doesn't like, but ultimately, I have to do this for myself. I believe in talismans and symbols and ritual, and for me, tattoos are a way to carry those talismans with me at all times to help keep me centered and grounded.

I was thinking about one on my back since I'm a sucker for symmetry. But if I'm going to do it I would like to see it as well. Decisions. :/

Have you noticed much smudging over the years? I've seen that some tattooes (especially black ones) kind of "bleed" as they age.

I have over 50 hours worth of tattoo work done (currently I'm taking a break for a while, but that may not last long). I have tattoos on my chest, stomach, back, arms, neck, and my left hand.

How expensive were yours generally? And what's the one on your hand (if you don't want to tell, that's fine)

How expensive were yours generally? And what's the one on your hand (if you don't want to tell, that's fine)
The majority of mine were done in trade for photography services with the artists in a local shop.

I have the eye of Horus on my hand.

I was thinking about one on my back since I'm a sucker for symmetry. But if I'm going to do it I would like to see it as well. Decisions. :/

Have you noticed much smudging over the years? I've seen that some tattooes (especially black ones) kind of "bleed" as they age.

A little bit around the edges, but it's been 20 years and I don't remember how smooth it was in the first place (one reason I'm being super picky about who does the redesign.)

I'm thinking of getting a tattoo - just some simple line art - and I was wondering who here has some?

Forums > Cafe TPF > Off Topic Chat >
How many of y'all have tattoos?

hmmm. Well I sailed a yawl a few times,and have been around several....but none had a tattoo. Unless a fancy painted name on the stern counts. ;)

A little bit around the edges, but it's been 20 years and I don't remember how smooth it was in the first place (one reason I'm being super picky about who does the redesign.)

Yeah, the one I'm considering is super simple (comparatively speaking), so if I'm going to have it done I want it to be impeccable. I always wonder how those tattoos that have pointillism and such hold up since I'd imagine all those small dots would eventually bleed together.

I know some people who went the cheap "My cousin can do it in his garage" route and the results speak for themselves lol.

I don't have any, but I'll definitely be getting one in the next six months or so, as a memory to my father. I'm either going to get "7-5" on my left shoulder and "2-15" on my right. His birthday is July 5 and he passed away on February 15. Well, I guess that's two tattoos.

I'll either get those or the face of a tiger. Dad was a fan of them since his Esso days (their slogan was "Put a tiger in your tank"), and he had this drawing of one hanging in his living room. I'm considering it for my right shoulder:

23428425260_ce40426fc3.jpg

I have none and never desired to get any. I have one ear pierced because my daughter said she thought it would be cool for her 6th grade Father-Daughter dance (daddy's girl).
Prior to that, I thought my mom would kill me if ever...........

Daughter is now 22, but if she ever suggested me getting ink - I would think about it.

Most reactions

Back