How many people like music?

How much do you like music?

• Yes I love music, I'm a fanatic.

Votes: 35 72.9%
  • I like listening to the radio, not really into it that much.

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • I'm a musician myself.

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters
treehuggerhikerboy said:
You could look at it as wasting their money, or supporting the art that is important to them. I say it's money better spent than buying crack. :wink: Why support Van Gogh instead of 50 Cent? Both are artists in their own right....

I haven't watched MTV in probably 10 years, and I hear they don't even play music videos anymore. BUT, I think it serves its purpose and isn't ALL bad.

Mass brain washing goes on in all big business, it's just if you buy into it. Buy a t-shirt to support 50 Cent, or buy a hockey jersey to support the Oilers, it's just a choice. :wink:

I totally see everyone's point in this....and have argued the other side countless times. I just think a lot of relativity is involved...

You're right, people can support what ever they want...and who am I to tell them what to do. I support pro sports, which is now a bunch of millionaires playing a game...how stupid is that? :lol:

The original question was "How many people like Music?" My initial response was NOT ME. Maybe there are just things that I don't like, that are embodied by the music industry. Or unfortunately, when I first think music...I think of all the bad things. Deep down, I love music in a pure form...but I don't know if that is what we asking here.

Chiller said:
What about "pre-fab" bands. For example. N-sync, or Backstreet Boys, or anybody who comes out of American Idol. Are they good for music or bad?

Knee-jerk reaction is bad...but what's the difference between someone putting them together, and them meeting organically at a party a la CSNY?

I don't know if it's good or bad, that's a mellon-scratcher. I do know that many brilliant artists wouldn't be popular if they had to go on American (World) Idol.

But can you really top the New Kids On The Block hit single, Hangin' Tough? ;)

treehuggerhikerboy said:
Knee-jerk reaction is bad...but what's the difference between someone putting them together, and them meeting organically at a party a la CSNY?

I don't know if it's good or bad, that's a mellon-scratcher. I do know that many brilliant artists wouldn't be popular if they had to go on American (World) Idol.

But can you really top the New Kids On The Block hit single, Hangin' Tough? ;)

Just one of those questions that came up at a little gathering we had. One of my buddies felt that, they have ruined the music industry. They are sold on their looks, and not their creative ability. None really play, or write anything. It came all the way down to the Jessica Simpsons, Britneys, all that. Funny how none of those bands were ugly. Ya should take a look at our ugly heavy metal bands...no wonder we did not sell anything. :lmao: Maybe we should have done a cover of Hangin Tough. :lol:

Archangel said:
I agree and disagree with many of the recent points brought up by this conversation. But one thing is true in my mind.... alot of pop on the radio IS talentless crap IMO..... and this may make me alot of things but it does not make me ignorant...

Definition:
Unaware or uninformed

I have to listen to pop on the radio for at least 6 hours a day at work... i'v heard every song in the top 20.....for the last ??years, uninformed... i think not.
:D

On the other hand if someone says a type of music is talentless and have never given it the time of day.... they could be considered ignorant ;)

See this is wear it gets confusing. Although most of the things you migh hear on the radio would consider crappy music. The artists themselves are usually forced to make a few tracks that are "sellable" music. Then you get 12 other tracks on their album that were co-writen, or co-produced. Or their next album might actually be a departure from what they were forced to do on the first album.

I'll list you a few good examples.

Pink. Her first few releases for radio were very "hip hop" or "urban", beats. The them was very RnB. Girl can sing. Her record company dressed her, produced her and wrote her songs.

Her second album she was allowed to do some things that she wanted too. Write her own songs, co-produce and whatever. It worked. I'm sure whatever she does in the future will have her name all over it.

Christina Aquilara. One of the most talented singers EVER. Her first album was released right after Britneys. They wanted to capitalize on the same girl next door sweet sixteen crap that Britney did. Next album was pretty much completely written by Christina.

All these rap artists usually have some really GOOD tracks on their albums, but the labels won't play the tracks with real content, they'll only play the tracks that can be related too by anyone and everyone. The lowest common denominator.

I'm glad we're having a real discussion around here.

I like actual TALKING about things!!!

as with the others - i am a muso. in fact an injury forced me to give up music and get into photography. however i will that musicians are quite biased in what they listen too. After all they have the inside scoop to the craft. Unfortunately the attitude occasionally becomes holier to people he just enjoy a song.

To the listener (who often isn't a musician) the lyrics, a good beat, a cool sample, an amazing voice means much more than whether or not they can play an instrument, go through a talent show or not.

That being said most music is targeted to listener, not musician. There is definately a formula for writing music that sells. It just alot more obvious and blatant now than it was say 10 years ago.

I have equally good tastes and bad tastes in music depending on who you talk to. But regardless if you are a muso or just a listener, both use music as a way to make life better :)

Sorry Bace..that the face of your thread changed, but there have been a lot of good points made here.
Do you remember Bo Bice? From American Idol. The guy rocked on the show, played with Lynard Skynard, did some Blood Sweat and Tears song...Vehicle. Have you heard the Cd that he released. It sounds like a bunch of Bon Jovi ballads( I dig Bon Jovi) So, I looked at the inner sleeve to see who wrote the music. Ritchie Sambora wrote a bunch of the songs.
It all seemed like a big cash grab for everyone involved.

Absolutely...there's a radio station here (KBCO) that isn't that great, but the best Clear Channel station I've heard. But listening to them, you'd never know that Nirvana actually plugged in ALL THE TIME except for the Unplugged show. According to KBCO, Pearl Jam released 2 songs, Daughter and Better Man.

Even though they're a commercial station, they underestimate their audience's music IQ. Have you seen what people are listening to on Myspace? Half the stuff that people are listening to isn't even played on commercial radio. They just don't challenge the listener...I want to hear the Shins BEFORE the Garden State soundtrack, take a chance!

*Plug for kexp.org* whooohoooo! :)

Chiller said:
Sorry Bace..that the face of your thread changed, but there have been a lot of good points made here.
Do you remember Bo Bice? From American Idol. The guy rocked on the show, played with Lynard Skynard, did some Blood Sweat and Tears song...Vehicle. Have you heard the Cd that he released. It sounds like a bunch of Bon Jovi ballads( I dig Bon Jovi) So, I looked at the inner sleeve to see who wrote the music. Ritchie Sambora wrote a bunch of the songs.
It all seemed like a big cash grab for everyone involved.

I've only heard one Bo Bice song since American Idol, and I didn't like him...I LOVED him on American Idol. Stupid American idol ruined him.

treehuggerhikerboy said:
Absolutely...there's a radio station here (KBCO) that isn't that great, but the best Clear Channel station I've heard. But listening to them, you'd never know that Nirvana actually plugged in ALL THE TIME except for the Unplugged show. According to KBCO, Pearl Jam released 2 songs, Daughter and Better Man.

Even though they're a commercial station, they underestimate their audience's music IQ. Have you seen what people are listening to on Myspace? Half the stuff that people are listening to isn't even played on commercial radio. They just don't challenge the listener...I want to hear the Shins BEFORE the Garden State soundtrack, take a chance!

*Plug for kexp.org* whooohoooo! :)

Woo! Shins rock!
KBCO was pretty good when I was living in denver. They haven't always been clearchannel.
I don't know how anyone is still listening to broadcast radio. With all the ipods, and satellite radio, how anyone can enjoy listening to the same 4 songs on rotation between all their advertising.

bace said:
All these rap artists usually have some really GOOD tracks on their albums, but the labels won't play the tracks with real content, they'll only play the tracks that can be related too by anyone and everyone.

yes... this is true, even bands that i'm into like radiohead, coldplay, elbow.. have had tracks in the charts which most of the time i skip when listening to the album.....the rest of the album is much better..... i can imagine rap albums have it worse... Take someone like missy elliot......maybe one track off the album is quite catchy and can be played relentlessly in clubs and radio but the rest of the album not commercial enough.... i actually quite like some of her album stuff.
However if we're talking Sugababes, Will Young or Chico etc.. (you may not have some of these over there).... the albums never gonna work for me! :lol:

Right, but as I said in the same post. Christina Aguilara's first album was all written by other people. Once they made a house hold name out of her, they let her do what she wanted. And she's not just a pretty face and a great voice.

You're right though. Some artists will never be good. I'm just saying that don't write off every artist just because they're on the radio.

And Chiller. I wanted this thread to go other places. I love music. I love talking about it. I had an inkling that photographers might have a similar appreciation like myself for other forms of art. I was right. It's something else we can all relate too apparently. And seemingly NOT argue, just discuss.

Here's a side question...

Is there a band that you can listen to every single one of the albums from beginning to end without skipping a single track?

For me, it's the Old 97's

I love music and would consider my self a "musician" - just not a professional one!

Although I am 15, I have earnt money from gigging in social clubs with an old band :)

I hope to become a professional session musician when left school.. Oh and by the way I play guitar and sing..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back