How many photos on average do you take at a wedding?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by shorty6049, Feb 10, 2008.

1. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Just had a conversation with someone about photos. Hes a wedding photographer , and said he takes around 3000 photos per wedding. just wondering how many everyone else takes on average?

2. MichaelT

MichaelT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I try to get about 300 good ones, usually edit down to 250. You can sure tell he's not making proofs!

3. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Err... I think on my last shoot I took 2000. Wee bit trigger happy there! They got around 300 completely edited images on disc though. (This was my cousin's wedding, on average I would prefer to actually provide more)

4. THORHAMMER

THORHAMMER TPF Noob!

If im shooting with a second shooter along, its entirely possible to get 2700-3000 , with an asistant, about 2300 in an 8 hour event depending on if he shoots a little too.

I pick out the 300 - 400 - 600 whatever best ones (depending on which package they buy) and only edit them for proofs,
    but I have the janky ones of aunt carol sneezing in case they wanted it, I just dont flag it as a pick in lightroom.

I just took a 2400 shot wedding down to 700 shots that are all processed and ready to go, took about 10 hours, it sucked, but you find ways to be more efficient, (lightroom (hint hint. ))

If I am alone and I shoot more then 1600 in 8 hours, then I know im machine gunning a little too much. But thats just me, some people just shoot more shots. theres no right and no wrong. also If your manning 2 cameras it changes things too.

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Last wedding I took 600 the backup took 400. We delivered about 200 in the final cut.

6. jols

jols TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    bout 600 taken 100 shown to the bride and groom

7. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

600 ish, edited down by half for presentation to the couple. they never see the bad stuff.

8. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't do weddings anymore, but 3000 does not sound way out of line for digital. (Though at that rate your shutter will fail in 50-100 weddings) When I shot film at weddings, 30-36 36 exposure rolls were not unheard of. A friend until very recently shot Blads in 220 film and would shoot 18 - 24 rolls. A lot for medium format but he did a lot of PJ style extra shooting. Digital makes it easier and cheaper, so frame rates go up substantially.

9. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think it depends on the gear you use. If you use a slower body you might not take as many images as some of the eople who say thry shoot 3000+ images alot of wich might be multiple fast shots of the same scene. To me with an average body, shooting 1-2 shots of most scenes set-up or not 300-500 images is a good range for your average wedding.

10. teachflute

teachflute TPF Noob!

I just finished processing my last wedding. Between my assistant and myself we took 2025 shots. It was a full 12 hour day. I started at 10 a.m. with the bride and bridesmaids getting their hair done and ended at 10 p.m. when the couple left in the limo.

11. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

I've only done a few weddings, one as a backup, but I say I average around 800 shots and I usually whittle it down to around half that if I know them(friends) or 200 if they're a regular client.

12. GHP

GHP TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gads! 3000+/-?
    Think of the editing!
    I shoot about 300 editing down to 80 that I present. I find that if they get any more than that they have so much trouble choosing that the process becomes onerous. More is not better.
    Having a zillion candids from the reception is just a waste of time and batteries. Very few reception shots are ever purchased. Focus your energy and talents where the money is but provide some fun, candid and other shots more to balance out the wedding.