How much better is D7100 over D5500 really?

darkblue-x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If anyone were to give me a critical analysis on the subject question.

To give some background, I am an amateur and feel like I have outgrown my D3300.
I have used a D5500 before and liked it (at least over the d3x00 series)--but I wasn't aware of the functions on it at the time to make an educated comparison to the D7100 that I just picked up today.

At first glance the D7100 seems to have quite the different format to the D3300 and D5500 alike.

Could someone present an argument as to which one is the better camera (ei. more useful functions, ease of use, features and specs)...?

Kind regards,

Chris

D7100 Pro's
Most important a better 51 focus point system
Better made body
Weather sealed
Second command dial
In body focus motor
6fps or 7fps in crop mode vs 5 on D5500
100% optical coverage vs 95%
Bigger battery
Minimum focus sensitivity -2ev vs -1ev
Pentaprism vs Pentamirror

Main advantage of D5500
Swivel touch screen

D7100 Pro's
Better made body
Weather sealed
Second command dial
In body focus motor
Bigger battery

Main advantage of D5500
Swivel touch screen

D7100 has faster shutter 1/8000, .94 viewfinder magnification (d5500 .82), D7100 has better screen by nearly 20% pixels, D5500 is touch screen though, D7200 up to 5 frames exposure bracketing vs. 3 on D5500, D5500 has higher frame rate in max video.

As mentioned above the D7100 has the focus motor in the body. So it can use older AF lenses, and the new ones that still require body focusing motor.

The D7100 would be quicker to use for basic camera controls when changing settings (buttons and dials). But for functions / changes that both cameras require you to use menu's the d5500 would be faster with the touch screen. Of the 3 cameras you listed the D5500 is the newest design and scores just above the D7100 on DXO. The D7100 scores slightly better than the D3300 by DXO. This is sensor performance measurements. For comparisons the D7200 scores the highest of any Nikon crop sensor camera by DXO. Again for sensor perforance.

Congrats on the D7100. It's a very good camera.

RE: In body focus motor, means that MANY AF and AF-D type Nikon-mount lenses will autofocus on the D7100. There were lenses made from the mid-1980's and onward in the AF and AF-D styles, and these lenses can be purchased at low cost comapred to newer, AF-S type lenses of the same, or similar specifications. SOme like the 70-300 ED are like, $75 used...an AF-S 70-300 VR is $275-$325 used...last week I saw an 80-200 f/2.8 one-ring ED-glass Nikon zoom for $295 in minty shape; a comparable 70-200 VR (first version) averages around $1,150 used...such cost savings exist in other lens categories as well...there were MANY AF and AF-D Nikkor lenses made, and MANY Tamron, Tokina, and other-brand lenses in AF and AF-D variations, and all of those NEED that in-body focusing motor for autofocus operation.

Three weeks ago, I bought a used Tokina AF 70-210mm f/4~5.6 lens for $29.95. Under thirty dollars, for a lens that will autofocus on any Nikon that has an in-body focusing motor system.

RE: In body focus motor, means that MANY AF and AF-D type Nikon-mount lenses will autofocus on the D7100. There were lenses made from the mid-1980's and onward in the AF and AF-D styles, and these lenses can be purchased at low cost comapred to newer, AF-S type lenses of the same, or similar specifications. SOme like the 70-300 ED are like, $75 used...an AF-S 70-300 VR is $275-$325 used...last week I saw an 80-200 f/2.8 one-ring ED-glass Nikon zoom for $295 in minty shape; a comparable 70-200 VR (first version) averages around $1,150 used...such cost savings exist in other lens categories as well...there were MANY AF and AF-D Nikkor lenses made, and MANY Tamron, Tokina, and other-brand lenses in AF and AF-D variations, and all of those NEED that in-body focusing motor for autofocus operation.

Three weeks ago, I bought a used Tokina AF 70-210mm f/4~5.6 lens for $29.95. Under thirty dollars, for a lens that will autofocus on any Nikon that has an in-body focusing motor system.
Someone told me about that too. A seasoned photographer, he had told me he always buys his camera body new, however he finds amazing deals on old lenses...
Come to think about it, he was using a D7100 as well when I had met him.

So I suppose I made the right choice...

I'm a bit overwhelmed however with all of these new things to learn. Not only am I just starting to learn lightroom, but I am having to learn a new camera completely. I had rented books from the library about photography but I don't know if my brain is capable of taking in anymore information at this juncture haha

/Edit: Thanks for all of the other answers as well, they were indeed very helpful for me to get that second opinion on my decision.

Don't worry too much about Lightoom....Ysarex has shown you a very thorough way to get a LOT out of a Nikon .NEF raw file..

The D7100 has a great sensor in it. You'll be fine.

Having MORE control buttons and dials is actually easier than menu-diving and searching for things. You will do fine with the D7100.

Don't worry too much about Lightoom....Ysarex has shown you a very thorough way to get a LOT out of a Nikon .NEF raw file..

The D7100 has a great sensor in it. You'll be fine.

Having MORE control buttons and dials is actually easier than menu-diving and searching for things. You will do fine with the D7100.

I just uploaded the photo in question of the barn from Lightroom, turned to JPEG sent to Dropbox, received through Dropbox mobile and I have to say...the photo looks really different. The colours aren't coming out as nice.
When I'm exporting the photo from Lightroom as JPEG, it gives me an option from 0-100 of the quality. Does it actually damage the photo to go higher?

This is a bit off-topic, but do you know why I'm encountering seeing the photo being completely different?

Different web browsers and different devices can use different color profiles, and have different screen quality...for example, my Apple retina display smartphone has a GREAT screen; my super-inexpensive Android phone from ZTE has a horrible screen.

JPEG quality...color usually does not suffer too badly with high levels of JPEG compression, but I like higher-quality images when I export from Lightroom.

I have encountered color profile issues before with images that have been uploaded to the web, and which were not properly tagged with the right color profile for maximum final viewing quality.

Your problem of seeing the photo "differently" be caused by a number of issues. sRGB, Adobe RGB, various weird color profiles, different web browsers, different protocols used by web hosting services, etc.. I have no idea how you are shooting or editing (in what color space), nor what color profiles you are tagging your images with before uploading.

D7100 has ability to do high speed sync or whatever Nikon calls it with certain flash units, allowing flash at speeds up to 1/8000 sec ss. It also compatable with Nikon wireless lighting system

I used a D3300 and upgraded to a used D7100, it's such an improvement that once you get into it you'll be blown away. Having more focus points is awesome compared to the D3300.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

D7100 Pro's
Better made body
Weather sealed
Second command dial
In body focus motor
Bigger battery

Main advantage of D5500
Swivel touch screen

The critical one in my view is the focusing motor. It allows you to use the excellent and now affordable Nikon D lenses. In my view, this one feature makes the lack of it in the 3000 and 5000 series cameras non starters.

D7100 has ability to do high speed sync or whatever Nikon calls it with certain flash units, allowing flash at speeds up to 1/8000 sec ss. It also compatable with Nikon wireless lighting system
OH yeah, HSS is SUPER important if you planning to do any portrait shoot outside

D7100 Pro's
Better made body
Weather sealed
Second command dial
In body focus motor
Bigger battery

Main advantage of D5500
Swivel touch screen

The critical one in my view is the focusing motor. It allows you to use the excellent and now affordable Nikon D lenses. In my view, this one feature makes the lack of it in the 3000 and 5000 series cameras non starters.
No doubt in body focus motor is important but it depends what lenses you have, if you only get G lenses then it makes no difference, if you enjoy a D lens then its a MUST feature, me personally think the 51 AF system is the most important feature, to me AF is key to get the shot more important then anything else.

I always emphasis body over the newest fangled $$$ lens.
Most of my lenses were AF-D lenses for a while as they were affordable to that I could get a wide range 18-35, 24-85, 80-200 and save thousands versus the newest comparable AF-S lenses.
The more advanced features of the better bodies, depending upon what you do, can be very helpful.

For instance, if you do
Landscape or architecturial I don't really see much of an advantage other than the control delay over mirror slap. So not much difference between the D7100 and D5500.

If you do Sports, Bird in Flight or anything more high speed then the added AF points, faster overall response, better viewing, faster AF system is advantageous in many facets of the body itself. D7100 wins for more ease of use once you understand how to use it.

D7100 Pro's
Better made body
Weather sealed
Second command dial
In body focus motor
Bigger battery

Main advantage of D5500
Swivel touch screen

No doubt in body focus motor is important but it depends what lenses you have, if you only get G lenses then it makes no difference, if you enjoy a D lens then its a MUST feature, me personally think the 51 AF system is the most important feature, to me AF is key to get the shot more important then anything else.

Different priorities. I do just as well with manual focus.

Most reactions

Back