Not open for further replies.

nossie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.quitealright.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a Vegas type wedding guy. Run in, bring a dozen of your dearest people, run out.

My fiancé is not. I've been watching the cost of my humble wedding escalate to the ridiculous. Dresses, Cakes, video men, bands, table decorations, flowers and on and on... Last night I snapped when I was told that I have to pay €150 to send out wedding notices to people that aren’t coming and weren’t invited, old school class mates etc. It was just too much for me and I fnuckig snapped, badly.

Since my wedding will be in Slovakia (assuming there still will be one) it’s now run a total of almost €10k. If we were to put on the same show in Ireland it would be €30k+ which is becoming the norm here.

So what did your wedding cost? I need to know that there are sane people out there.

My sisters is near the £6k+ mark, I think. Not sure if that includes the honeymoon - probably not.

if you can easily afford 30k .. go ahead, it might be fun ... if however, already 5k mean financial pain, than 30k would be insane.

If your monthly salary is below 7k, then I'd consider 30k for the wedding insane definitely.

It also depends on what you're doing with the money. My sisters will be held a short distance from them (in a church founded in 1132 and has connections with Henry VIII) and the reception isn't far either in a 17th century country mansion. For their money they're feeding everyone, getting an old car and also the photographer. Still, it's a **** load of money for just that! I think the honeymoon is costing the same sort of money. Obviously I'm really sketchy on details.

I think they should go to Pizza Hut myself...

wow thats a lot of money, if/when I get married I'm not spending that much, I don't care what the lady says.

On another note I know that my brothers wedding cost him just over 4k CAD (Canadian). I don't know the conversion to your currency. There was 90 people there, a toonie bar (2$ per drink be it beer or a mix). At the reception there was dinner, cake, but we did do our own music (laptop + stereo that was there) which worked out fine. They aren't show type people so it did have a lets get this over with type of feel to it, but it was the funnest wedding I have ever been to. Oh and one of my Aunts is a photographer so she took the pictures for free which rocks.

my wedding is in two months, so far we are at 21,000 usd

My wedding was less than £1k.
Family only at the actual reception.
And the evening party was at the local church hall with extended family and our friends. Had a fantastic day, couldn't have gone better.
That included the price of my wife's stunning chinese dress that she had made.
Photographer, DJ and chef friends give great wedding presents... and lower our costs considerably. As in they did the photography, DJ'd the party, catered and made the wedding cake, for the cost of materials.
We made our own invitations on really nice parchment paper that I found at a bargin price.
We only had a small honeymoon period, which was just a quiet few days away and some spent with my wifes family and friends that flew over from Canada. We plan on doing a real honeymoon in the future.

I'm not sure what the total was for my wedding (I didn't really want to know) but it was probably $12-$15 K (CDN). We didn't hire a band (just a DJ) but we did have an open bar and a fairly expensive catering bill.
My wife's parents did pay for a bunch of that, my mom helped out and I think we received close to $8000 cash plus gifts.

That seems to be the norm for my wife's large Ukrainian family. The weddings are big lavish events with free food and booze...but the guests give expensive gifts or cash.

We got married Aug last year. Even though we didnt have a huge guest list (70pl) and cut back on a few things we easily managed to spend around 27k (GBP)

Married six years! I need to ask my wife how much we spent on the wedding/reception. It wasn't cheap, but her folks footed most of the bill. We paid for the open bar and the honeymoon. The honeymoon was at least $3k for a week in Jamaica at Sandals (all-inclusive is the way to go!). I want to say something like $10+K for the reception and such.

ok, i can see i would be rather on the cheap end here ;)

I was a wedding shooter when we got married. We both decided to step into the Justice of the Peace and get it done. I handed his wife my camera all preset and let her take a few pix. Total cost = $35 + 1 roll 35mm Kodachrome.

(should have used cheaper film)

Personally speaking, weddings usually equal one tenth the cost of the divorce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back