How much do you rely on Auto Settings?

If his camera supports program shift, he could roll the wheel to the correct aperture/shutter speed combo he was looking for without leaving program mode. Some people prefer this, but if he got the shot that's all that matters :)

heh... dunno, does the D200 have that? :)

heh... dunno, does the D200 have that? :)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD200/page6.asp

dpreview.com said:
Programmed Auto (flexible)
one.gif

In this mode the camera automatically selects aperture and shutter speed based on the current metered exposure value, exposure compensation and selected ISO sensitivity. The D200's flexible program allows you to select one of a range of identical exposures (using different combinations of aperture and shutter speed) by turning the main command dial. Example:
one.gif

• 1/125 sec, F9 (turn left one click)
• 1/160 sec, F8.0 (turn left one click)
• 1/200 sec, F7.1 (metered)
• 1/250 sec, F6.3 (turn right one click)
• 1/320 sec, F5.6 (turn right one click)

Its really cool. If you're feeling experimental its worth a shot. :)

That is definitely neat, but I think I would probably be faster just doing it manually... I'd have to re-train myself to think in terms of the function described.

Definitely neat though.

I used the Program function almost exclusively on my Rebel for a long time. But towards the end of the time that I had that camera, I began to realize that the Program function didn't always capture the moment the way I had in mind. I began experimenting with Manual on my camera, and haven't looked back since. I guess that the auto settings aren't bad, but if you want an image that really pops or stands out, using a manual setting is the way to go. That's what I've found, anyway.

That is definitely neat, but I think I would probably be faster just doing it manually... I'd have to re-train myself to think in terms of the function described.

Definitely neat though.

That's what so cool about cameras nowadays. You can get the shot in manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, or program mode if you really understand your camera. There's never been a better time to be a photographer!

very interesting threat... I have learn quite a lot from it as i am struggle to take images in manual mode, results haven't been quite satisfying that recently i have decide to shoot either with program modes. I have seen the improvement doing this.
Now my question is with the lens. I have the option to either set it manualy or auto focus. I usually keep it auto, but was wondering in which mode you use for the lens?

This is quite interesting. Assuming the pronoun you left out in the last sentence is "I," you'll have to add me to the list of photographers you have "no respect for."

I have no problem with other photographers choosing to use full manual all of the time. I went through a phase where I used manual wherever possible and thought this made me a "better photographer" because "all the pros shoot full manual all of the time." Though I now know that this is completely incorrect, the time I spent learning the camera through manual mode has allowed me to understand the automatic modes and use them to their full potential.

Dismissing any photographer who chooses an automatic exposure, however, is ridiculous. The camera is simply a tool, and each of us uses it in his own way to attempt to replicate the image in our mind's eye. Condemning those who you use it differently than you is, in my opinion, astonishingly closed-minded.

A few days ago I was shooting an event for work that involved students moving into the dorm rooms they would be living in for the summer. The days was exceptionally bright, and moving from outside to inside meant going from extremely bright scenes to heavily-shadowed and often harshly backlit indoor exposures, and having Program mode to switch the aperture and exposure to usable ranges was very helpful- all I had left to do was fine tune using EV compensation. Using an automatic mode allowed me to spend more time taking pictures and less time turning dials. I am fully competent in fully manual photography (my "new" Ricoh KR-10 Super will be here later this week), but I often allow the camera to do the busywork that can get in the way of taking pictures.

If using "M" at all times is what makes you feel good about your photography, by all means keep doing it. To suggest that those who choose other methods to chase the images in their heads are somehow unworthy of respect is absurd.

Well I guess that what sets us apart. Most people Ive encountered that used Program mode were lazy and just want point and shoot or had no understanding how to properly expose the photo. I wont argue thats its faster than manual but I still manage to get the shot. But I wouldnt want a mentor that has the camera do all that work. And I cant stand when I encounter people that have decent equipment and say ya im a pro and has everything setup on automatic making it an exspensive point and shoot camera. Close minded maybe, but I have my reasons.

Well I guess that what sets us apart. Most people Ive encountered that used Program mode were lazy and just want point and shoot or had no understanding how to properly expose the photo. I wont argue thats its faster than manual but I still manage to get the shot. But I wouldnt want a mentor that has the camera do all that work. And I cant stand when I encounter people that have decent equipment and say ya im a pro and has everything setup on automatic making it an exspensive point and shoot camera. Close minded maybe, but I have my reasons.

I agree to a extent here, I have ran into a few "pros" who told me that they hated anything manual and shot exclusively in full auto. Needless to say most of the outdoor night and indoor flash shots looked like crap. The problem in my mind is not that they were using program mode, it was that they didn't know how to use anything else.

As for P, Av, Tv, etc being faster than manual, well often its not. And Is getting a shot really, getting the shot, NO.

Example, shooting theatre just a few hours ago(for no other reason than I wanted to test out my 70-200 f/4) Contrast in costumes, moving light, gobos, and a multitude of colors, can and usually does confuse the hell out of your cameras light meter. In Av mode in the time it takes to meter focus and recompose a shot, something ha changed, I have to meter on an actor, a piece of scenery, or whatever and use exposure lock, then focus ad compose my shot, only to realize that exposure is a bit off, so I adjust exposure compensation, meter, exposure lock, focus, recompose, and push the button. Now after a few times of doing this you realize that at at f/X, and XXsec shutter speed, faced are well exposed, and at f/Y and YYsec shutter is a good balance so the lighting looks natural, and so on. And there is no extra step for exposure comp, just one click further on the wheel. Now For a given scene I'm usually sticking with the same aperture, so it very quick to give a click up or down to the shutter speed between shots.

Although I do shoot in Av most often.

I agree to a extent here, I have ran into a few "pros" who told me that they hated anything manual and shot exclusively in full auto. Needless to say most of the outdoor night and indoor flash shots looked like crap. The problem in my mind is not that they were using program mode, it was that they didn't know how to use anything else.

Geez.. I hope they weren't shooting weddings like this. YIKES!!

As for P, Av, Tv, etc being faster than manual, well often its not. And Is getting a shot really, getting the shot, NO.

YES! You are correct sir! (in a Ed McMahon voice)

I like manual becuase of the precise control it gives me, however, when I am in situations where there is a lot of shots needed to be taken in a shorter time and there is a lot of movement, Aperture Priority is what I need and what I use.

It all depends on the situation. I have noticed that as time moves on, I use the "P" mode less and less. However, whenever I am unsure and don't have the time to futz... P-mode it is, even though honestly, I am rarely totally satisfied with the results. My mindset is more "its either this or nothing, so I'll accept the situation at a lower level of quality".

I also recognize this as nothing more than potentially simple lack of experience.

In percentages, 90% is M or A... 10% is P-mode.

I understand why one might have "no respect" for those who do not "understand how to properly expose [a] photo." What I do not understand is the jump in reasoning to turning your nose up at any photographer who chooses to use program automatic exposure regardless of whether or not he or she has the technical understanding to manually expose an image. I wonder if you've ever self-righteously judged a true "professional" in your mind without realizing it.

In addition, there seems to be this floating descriptor of "pro" floating around. Everyone wants to be "like a pro," but it seems that one becomes one simply by proclaiming oneself a "pro," regardless of technical ability. This necessitates arbitrary standards to determine the reals "pros." To the pro-obsessed, may I suggest simply recognizing other photographers' work for what it is? Many amateur photographers do things that impress me. Many people who earn a living form photography and take excellent pictures bore me to tears. Take what you wish from the work of others without making it about who's a "pro" and who isn't.

Come to think of it, I do know where the mystical "pro" comes from: Marketing.

Come to think of it, I do know where the mystical "pro" comes from: Marketing.

Definitions of professional on the Web:
  • [SIZE=-1]
  • engaged in a profession or engaging in as a profession or means of livelihood; "the professional man or woman possesses distinctive qualifications ...
  • a person engaged in one of the learned professions
  • an athlete who plays for pay
  • master: an authority qualified to teach apprentices
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
  • A professional can be either a person in a profession (certain types of skilled work requiring formal training / education) or in sports (a sportsman / sportwoman doing sports for payment). Sometimes it is also used to indicate a special level of quality of goods or tools.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
  • The Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services sector comprises establishments that specialize in performing professional, scientific, and technical activities for others. These activities require a high degree of expertise and training. ...
    eadiv.state.wy.us/i&e/i&egloss.htm[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
  • Occupations that require knowledge in a field of science or learning typically acquired through education or training pertinent to the specialized field, as distinguished from general education. ...
    www.opm.gov/feddata/demograp/PartThree.doc[/SIZE]

Hi all, I'm new here, nice to meet you..

Not to say i'm correct but imho, I'd prefer not to rely much on auto-settings. To improve, you need to expose yourself more on everything in photography field. Experience it rather than just plain reading on theories.

The more you test and adjust the settings on different situation, the more closer for you to master photography skills.

This is just what I did since i started my dream as a photographer, might not apply to everybody :p

Cheers!
Adam

If I shoot in M all the time, I usually miss the shot. It takes way too long to get the exposure settings down. If my camera as still on a tripod or something, and I'm shooting, say a night landscape, I will use M mode.
I mostly use Av mode or often P mode if I'm just casually taking pictures..P mode, just so I can control ISO.
For whatever I use though, I am always paying attention to the ISO, Apeture, and the shutter speed. If I don't want a certain Apeture, Shutter speed, or ISO then I will make adjustments when needed

Most reactions

New Topics

Back