How much do you think the price of the 5D will drop?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by William Petruzzo, Sep 3, 2008.

1. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was discussing in another forum the last couple of days that I've decided to upgrade to the 5D. But it seems that there's a lot of speculation suggesting that the 5D's successor will be announced at Photokina at the end of this month. Now, I don't think I'll be interested in the newer model. I prefer the tried and true. But the question now is, should I hold out and see what the prices of the current 5D model do, or do you think their not going to drop much? What are your speculations?

2. jtmorales

jtmorales TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I honestly don' think it'll drop that much. The 5D is still a very capable camera that those who own love. If Canon announces the successor at Photokina I think it'll be in the 3k range and as such it won't be a direct competitor to the 5D. There are also rumours that the 5D is no longer in production so that may have some impact on prices. You will probably be able to pick them up used for prettt good prices once the successor is announced though.

3. William Petruzzo

Photos OK to edit
    I'm getting anxious, that's what it is. I want to upgrade and get my hands on some new gear. The prospect of waiting a long time is unappealing. But I guess sometimes you gotta just suck it up and be patient. But, most of the rumors floating about seem to think official announcements will be made on September 8th; but who knows really. Now is one of those times I'd like to know the future so I can know if I'm waiting in vain. *sigh*

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Drop? Prices don't drop much at all. Cameras disappear and get replaced by newer models. You want a cheap 5D I would look at the used market, that's where the cheap ones will be when the next Canon offering hits the shelves.

5. Agreed, the 5D will be replaced, not augmented. There will be a considerable drop in price, and then quickly after that only used ones.

A comment about the 5D. If you're shooting landscapes, one nice thing is that it has the biggest sensor pixels of any dSLRs - something like 8.6 micro-meters. They're fat like water dew drops... you can get a lot of detail out of those... I think the new sensor sites will be more numerous, but smaller.

6. William Petruzzo

Photos OK to edit
    Oh yeah, I'm not expecting the current 5D would stay in the lineup, I'm wondering about that brief interim between the announcement of the new model and the depletion of the old model from shelves. What's the price difference going to be? $200, $500, no difference?

I mean, I know it's all just speculation. But we must be able to make some reasonable speculations. Perhaps between the change from the 20D to the 30D? I've just been so content with my current camera, that I've not paid any attention to what happens in the shifting camera market.