How much of a disadvantage is 3 focus focus points ?

Why is that? Are you suggesting that photographers that worked prior to the invention of auto focus didn't photograph moving subjects?

they certainly did :) .. and they were better at focusing manually than most of us today ;)

Just multiple AF sensors can make life easier in those situations, but not having them does not make things impossible.

errr....i dont use them, i dont shoot automatic.

Why is that? Are you suggesting that photographers that worked prior to the invention of auto focus didn't photograph moving subjects?

it may not be an option because DSLRs, especially the entry level models, have very small and dim viewfinders that make MF much harder than the large bright finders in 35mm cameras.

it may not be an option because DSLRs, especially the entry level models, have very small and dim viewfinders that make MF much harder than the large bright finders in 35mm cameras.

Viewfinder brightness is a function of the maximum aperture of the lens in use. The new viewfinders are 2/3 the size of the 35mm ones. Not much of a problem. Try tracking action through a rangefinder camera viewfinder or an old TLR with a waist level finder where everything is upside down and backward or a 1940's vintage press camera with a snap on viewfinder. Trust me they would make a DSLR seem like a piece of cake in comparison and yet all of those cameras were used to track moving subjects for years and years. No, it is very much an option.

Viewfinder brightness is a function of the maximum aperture of the lens in use. The new viewfinders are 2/3 the size of the 35mm ones. Not much of a problem. Try tracking action through a rangefinder camera viewfinder or an old TLR with a waist level finder where everything is upside down and backward or a 1940's vintage press camera with a snap on viewfinder. Trust me they would make a DSLR seem like a piece of cake in comparison and yet all of those cameras were used to track moving subjects for years and years. No, it is very much an option.

and the type of focussing screen that is in use, fit a Beattie intenscreen and you will gain around 2-3 stops of viewfinder brightness

lol well atleast zaphod had something funny to say about my usless post. see i like throwing things into conversations that have little or nothing to do with them, a pinhole camera would be fun though ;D
yay for shutter speed priority!

haha, i see you have a sence of humor. ok lets get back on topic here.

On the more expensive Canon cameras, I think I read that in certain modes for moving subjects the sensor points will hand off focus from one to another ... so not only are you following the subject but the camera does what it can to maintain focus.

I shoot a ton of sports and I use center focus only for sports. On other shots, especially wide angles, I still only use one point but I will select a focus point closest to my subject to minimize repositioning. I get sharper results that way when I shoot with larger apertures.

Gary

Indeed, Nikons have that tracking feature too - and it can do some interesting things. I was messing around with it at a Rollergirls game, and, well I call this a perverted selective focus!

245096459_7ff5fc28d5.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back