how much should a beginner spend on equipment

rezzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so,

i see everyone throwing all these different model names and specs around. for a beginner, what should one expect to invest in purchasing a decent camera?

A decent beginner DSLR camera, I would say around $500-$700. Just a rough figure.

think about lenses though. you're going to want lenses. i bought my first dslr about 2 months ago and i've spent $2,000 already. it's addicting. depends on whether you can control the urge. lol

with or without the lens? I got my xti reb for xmas and it came with the kit lens.

in hindsight, I would have preferred a better starter lens like the the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, which I use now. Photos are like night and day.

Then decide what you want to start off doing; portraits, sports, landscapes, etc... and get a second lens best suite d for that.

So a good beginner dslr and a sharp lens should run about 800-1,000 smacks.

So a good beginner dslr and a sharp lens should run about 800-1,000 smacks.

wow! thats quite an investment. generally speaking which is better digital cameras or ones that use film?

That depends on the user. Digital SLRs are quickly approaching the image quality of what film can do. In fact, with the current models, I doubt anyone would be able to tell if an 8x10 or 11x14 print came from a DSLR or a film SLR now. So then, the main deciding factor is if you prefer to shoot film and wait for processing or if you need instant gratification. I think that there is probably a much lower learning curve as far as capturing a properly exposed image if shooting w/ digital. However, you will think more about what you are doing as far as exposure and composition and framing if using a film SLR. You can certainly get a very nice Film SLR for $300-600 right now but then you have the film development costs. It's a bit of a trade off and it's up to you as to what you need/want.

Just realize that 90% of photography is the person standing behind the camera, and their vision, and their inspiration. If you've got the vision and the inspiration it's amazing what you can do with even the junkiest of cameras and lenses. On the other hand, someone with no vision, no inspiration, no imagination, and no creativity will still make crappy photos no matter how much they spend on camera gear.

For most reasonable uses you don't need to spend much at all. The entry level DSLR, one of the kit lenses, and a flash are all you really need.

so,

i see everyone throwing all these different model names and specs around. for a beginner, what should one expect to invest in purchasing a decent camera?

Well, Why do you want a camera? Just wondering. And are you someone who likes to upgrade stuff quickly?

That depends on the user. Digital SLRs are quickly approaching the image quality of what film can do. In fact, with the current models, I doubt anyone would be able to tell if an 8x10 or 11x14 print came from a DSLR or a film SLR now. So then, the main deciding factor is if you prefer to shoot film and wait for processing or if you need instant gratification. I think that there is probably a much lower learning curve as far as capturing a properly exposed image if shooting w/ digital. However, you will think more about what you are doing as far as exposure and composition and framing if using a film SLR. You can certainly get a very nice Film SLR for $300-600 right now but then you have the film development costs. It's a bit of a trade off and it's up to you as to what you need/want.

Actually you can get a good film camera for way less than that.

Canon Eos 3s can be had for 150-200$
Nikion n80's can be had for less than 100$.
Both of these cameras have features that are found on dslrs that cost close to $1000.
If you shoot slides it gets really cheap. You just pay to develop them and that it. Usually less than 6$ per roll.

If your budget really is tight, I'd reccomend getting a film slr with lens off ebay. Then Getting another lens. If down the road you have more money for a camera you could probably sell the film body for what you paid for it and you'd have some lenses to go with your new dslr.

Just realize that 90% of photography is the person standing behind the camera, and their vision, and their inspiration.

The other 10% will run you $800-$1000. :lol:

A basic D40 kit with the 18-55 is only $500 or less. You can get a refurb kit with a warranty for $400. Add in an SB-400 flash for $120 and you're good to go. I think basic Canon kits are similarly priced.

I moved into the digital world kicking and screaming and I still much prefer film. However, the reality is that R&D for film-based photography came to a screeching halt well over five years ago. My personal belief is that, within ten years, film will be as common as daguerrotype. Like it or not, digital is here to stay.

You really have to decide what you want to use the camera for, If its for taking pics of your family and holidays then maybe one of the cheaper models would be great.
owever, the way I look at it, if i went to a rebel (one of the cheaper canons) I would most likely want to upgrade in a year or 6 months as I am wanting to take my photography to the next level, so Ill be getting a eos 30d or 40d which are a better than the rebels and more advanced.

I dont know about nikon thats why i am sayiing canon, but i am sure nikon do there equivelents..

wow! thats quite an investment. generally speaking which is better digital cameras or ones that use film?

There's always the used market for substantial savings. Trust me, I've learned that once you start using the kit lens and actually learn, you quickly learn how inadequate it is.

Most reactions

Back