how much should a beginner spend on equipment

I've taken some of my best photos with the cheap inadequate kit lens. :D

you won't get concrete advice with your question, it is too general. You need to define:

1. Your level of interest in photography.
2. Your knowledge of photography.
3. The type of pictures you will be taking.

its hard to say. look for ore specific equipment and then add up the prices

If you have not been much into photography. I would suggest that you use a normal digital camera with manual control. Cost should be under $200 nowaday. I wouldn't recommend film unless you also want how to develop film also. Film could get expensive also to buy and develop also. Once you learn all the manual control on the camera, then you can go on DSLR. That's my view on it. Don't get a camera that don't allow manual control though. Camera with manual control would say something along the line of PASM on the control dial.

Just realize that 90% of photography is the person standing behind the camera, and their vision, and their inspiration. If you've got the vision and the inspiration it's amazing what you can do with even the junkiest of cameras and lenses. On the other hand, someone with no vision, no inspiration, no imagination, and no creativity will still make crappy photos no matter how much they spend on camera gear.

For most reasonable uses you don't need to spend much at all. The entry level DSLR, one of the kit lenses, and a flash are all you really need.

Very true.

I think the best answer is to get the best that you can afford...or maybe a little more. Because what's going to happen is you're going to get something that you can easily afford and not be happy with it. I was debating between a Nikon D40 and a D80 and although the D80 was a little more, that was what I wanted. Then I seen the D300. Major price difference, but man...what a camera. I knew that if I got the D80, I was always going to want the D300 so why spend the $800 or so and be "unhappy". Plus the fact that you're going to have to sell the what you can afford camera, and take the loss when you save up enough to cover the price difference between the two.

you won't get concrete advice with your question, it is too general. You need to define:

1. Your level of interest in photography.
2. Your knowledge of photography.
3. The type of pictures you will be taking.

ok, currently I am just starting into photography. I know some basics, about setting a scene and shooting it.

I think I would be most interested in shooting people.

Is it possible to purchase a camera and have it work for say macro work and other types simply by using a different lens?

Is it possible to purchase a camera and have it work for say macro work and other types simply by using a different lens?

Yes, this is where an SLR or DSLR comes in with the ability to change lenses. As I said earlier, a very, very basic setup would be either a Canon Rebel or a Nikon D40 with the kit lens (the lens that comes with it).

ok, currently I am just starting into photography. I know some basics, about setting a scene and shooting it.

I think I would be most interested in shooting people.

Do you have a budget in mind? for what you want to do, you might want to purchase a super zoom model like this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz18/

Built in lens with macro capabilities. If you want to shoot people as in portrait, this may be the ticket, but if you are shooting people as in sport, this won't cut it. Read the review.

so,

i see everyone throwing all these different model names and specs around. for a beginner, what should one expect to invest in purchasing a decent camera?

I believe you can get an XT or XTi from $400-$600 (depends on if you want kit lens)

The first lens I would buy (besides kit) is the "50mm f/1.8" for $80 (Canon price). For this price you can't go wrong. For basic people photography this is great for a beginner - it's f/1.8 so much more forgiving in terms of "know what to do" in terms of low light.

Play with this set up until you think you get a better idea what you want to do with your camera.

Here are some Canon XTs from B&H ... some are kits (include lens)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...arch=yes&O=productlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

Here is the XTi, also from B&H
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...arch=yes&O=productlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

You can probably buy a used one for a little under $400 ... or IF you want to upgrade your camera, you can sell yours.

If you want to spend over $1000, you can go 30D or 40D ... I have the 30D, and I will recommend going 40D ... I've never touched, or seen one, but from what I've read, it is a substantial improvement over 30D

Here is the 30D, just in case ...

You can find similar pricing on Adorama or Amazon. If you can't tell already, I prefer B&H myself.

Most reactions

Back