how much should a beginner spend on equipment

Rezzy, I think this thread would be of great use to you. It seems you have not come to some conclutions as to what you want. You need to know first what you want to figure out what you will need for it, then figure out what can be fit in the budget or how to compose the budget from there.

If you are serious about photography and you are just starting, I would suggest to get the best you can afford. Ultimately it's you who decides what that is, but if you hate selling your stuff as I do, get the right stuff to begin with and then learn to use it. Photography is an expensive hobby even without stuff you can't/won't use later.

If you decide to go this route, the learning curve will be will be very steep for you as most of the equipment you get is not meant for beginners, but at the end of the day you will be better off.

One more thing: buy your stuff SLOWLY. Resist the urge to go spend all your money without doing some very careful research about every little bit of equipment you get.

That's my contribution.

I think the best answer is to get the best that you can afford...or maybe a little more. Because what's going to happen is you're going to get something that you can easily afford and not be happy with it. I was debating between a Nikon D40 and a D80 and although the D80 was a little more, that was what I wanted. Then I seen the D300. Major price difference, but man...what a camera. I knew that if I got the D80, I was always going to want the D300 so why spend the $800 or so and be "unhappy". Plus the fact that you're going to have to sell the what you can afford camera, and take the loss when you save up enough to cover the price difference between the two.
I'd get the best you can afford too, but with lenses rather than bodies. As soon as you save up for that D300, the D400 will be right around the corner, by which time the D300 you just bought will be nearly worthless. New or used high quality glass stays current almost forever, will make the bigger difference in your photos, and is a much better investment IMHO.

wow!... i am quickly noticing their is a wealth of knowledge to be had at this forum.

i never expected so many people to offer their expertise.:hail:

i will definaltely read the posts everyone has recommended.

Thank you!!

Most reactions

Back