How much should i charge?

darich

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.darich.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been offered a price of 125Euros (approx £85) for an image which will be used in Germany. It'll be in a calendar with a run of 5000.
Is this a fair price or should i try for more??
Never had a sale before so would be most grateful for any advice.

thanks!!!
Dave

You are the only person who can decide if this is a reasonable fee.
You are an unknown photographer and this is your first sale so £85 is not bad for one print. You could try for more - you might get it but then again they could say 'forget it, we'll use someone else'. This is the choice you have to make.
My personal view - and this is an ex-professional talking - is that any sale is better than no sale.
Once you have been published you can start asking more, but when you are starting out it's worth taking the risk of selling yourself cheap in order to get the exposure.

Congratulations by the way.

HVR

many thanks

I was kind of thinking along the same lines - any sale is better than none.
I'm also going to ask if i can be sent a copy of the calendar if my image is selected in final version - just now it's a trial so the sale isn't guaranteed.
I think I'll accept the E125 offer and take it from there.

The shot is of San Francisco at night and can be found on my website in the landscpaes gallery
:mrgreen:

I was always prepared to accept a bit less if they gave me a credit.
Make noises like 'it's not really what I'm normally paid but I'll take it if I can have a credit and a copy'. Doesn't always work but it's worth a try. A few credits can actually generate more work - and they look good in your portfolio.

Thanks Hertz
I've sent off a reduced resolution copy for the agent to make up his mock calendar. He has 15-20 shots and the editor chooses the images for the calendar from the mock up.
The agent said he hoped they used my shot because it was really good.
If /When they contact me for the full size one that's when i'll ask for a credit and a couple of copies of the calendar....until then there isn't any point in mentioning it.
I'll just sit tight with my fingers crossed!!!
Hopefully on my way to calling myself a "pro" even if it is just one shot!!!!

Hi
thought I'd update this thread to say my shot was chosen for the calendar.
The hires version has been sent and I'm awaiting payment.
my first proper sale!!!
woohoo!!!
:mrgreen:

Darich,

When you sent your initial copy. Did you simply reduce the resolution of the photograph? What resolution did you send?

The initial submission was on a website - approx 700 x 200 pixels (it's a panoramic) at 72dpi. I then sent a higher res version for a mock up as requested - it was approx 1600 x 450 and around 400kb.
I sent the full size 300dpi image when requested. it was around 5mb. It had to be that size to allow for printing.
I made sure my invoice clearly stated that copyright remains with the photographer and what the agreed use was.

Hey congrats. I was looking thru your site, and noticed in your links section "photographers Direct" a stock photo site. Did they find the image thru that? or just from your site? Is the stock photo site yours as well?

Jeff
The buyer found my image through Photographers Direct, not my site. I have had a couple of smaller sales from my site though.
The Photographers Direct site is not mine and I have nothing to do with it other than having a bunch of images on it - I can't even remember how i found it!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back