How much to sell dig. photo for?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by dingo_perth, Sep 13, 2006.

1. dingo_perth

dingo_perth TPF Noob!

Hi guys,

I run a website with photos of exotic cars seen in Australia.

I have been approached by a local businessman who wants to use some of my photos for advertising his exotic-car related business.

He has asked me what I charge per photo, but I have no idea what to say. I will be selling the original digital file (not a print or anything) which he can give to his graphic designer to work with.

So what would be a fair price per photo (I'm guessing he will take about 10 of them)?

Thanks in advance.:D

2. JDP

JDP TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Depends. Do you keep the copyright, or are you selling it with the prints. That's about all I know hehe. Selling with the copyright, you charge a lot more .

3. dingo_perth

dingo_perth TPF Noob!

I'll be selling the copyright to the image, so he can then use it in whatever advertising he likes.

4. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    If your shots are ones that he wouldn't be able to obtain anywhere else, and especially if he wants unlimited useage, I would be charging him in the vicinity of $200-$250 each shot. It might sound expensive from your clients point of view, but to hire the images for a single useage from a stock library would cost him considerably more. If you go ahead, make sure it doesn't limit your useage to the images, and you should get a report of his useage to enable you to know what you could charge in the future.
    www.philipweirphotography.com

5. dingo_perth

dingo_perth TPF Noob!

Thanks Phillip, after reading your advice and speaking to a few others I agree something around the $250 mark is about right.

Cheers.