How Much?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Naicidrac, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Naicidrac

Naicidrac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello all,
    I just wanted to post a general question about how much to charge. I have been getting better with my photography and I have had a few people who want me to take their photo. How much should I charge for a general on location photo shoot. Maybe about 4 poses or so. I am not counting the price for the photos, but maybe an hour or two on photo shop and about 4 poses or so. I just wanted to get an idea. Now I am just starting to do this so I don't want to charge too much, but if they like my work and they want me to take their picture they have to pay for my art.

Thanks,
    Naicidrac

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It depends on a lot of things...like how much you will charge for the prints or files. You could change nothing for 'sitting fee' and then charge a lot for the prints...or else you could change the whole cost up front and then give the prints/files etc.

Also, the average price for photography is probably a lot higher in New York than Minnesota...so you need to take that into consideration. Also, you need to consider your market...who are you selling this service to?

I suggest looking up other photographers in your area and see what they are charging for something similar. Base your charge using that as a guide. You may want to start low but don't undervalue yourself. If you are good, there is no reason to charge less than other pros.

3. Naicidrac

Naicidrac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Big Mike, that is a great idea. I will give local photographers a call and see what an afternnon on location would be.

4. uberben

uberben TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I live in Minnesota and have been charging for photos for about a year now. I charge 50-100 dollars for a sitting which includes a few prints. Additional photos are extra as are the high res digital negs. I do it more for a side hobbie and the extra money is a bonus, I am probably too cheap. They are happy and so am I.

5. Jim Gratiot

Jim Gratiot TPF Noob!

Try doubling that, or more. Say, $125/sitting, not including prints.