How often do you bump the ISO up in outdoor sports?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I read somewhere of someone bumping ISO up to like 400 for sport shots. What if its a really bright day and you can get 1/640 lets say, and your at ISO 100, do you even need to bump is up to 200 to get a faster speed?

It might be more than 1/640 on a hot day im just saying a random number.

Lets pretend this is for soccer, and not nascar hehe...

It seems people bump the ISO up just because sometimes.

I dunno, any insight?
BTW, Yes I know about ISO, so dont need to teach me how to use it :p
Im more or less asking about other peoples techniques on ISO in sporting events.

You only need to bump up the ISO if you can't get the shutter speed/aperture combination you want to use. If it's bright enough to use what you want at ISO100, then ISO100 it is.

i ALWAYS try and avoid bumping the ISO. if you dont absolutely need to do it DONT. itll bring unnecessary noise into the shadows of your image.

I'll use what ever ISO is needed to get the desired shutter speed I'm looking for. I have used from 100 all the way to 3200! For covering a night, high school football game.... with POOR lighting LOL.

you can always get a faster lens if you dont have one... maybe a 300mm f/2.8? :D not on my salary though!

I try to shoot at 100 all the time. I have a nice manfrotto(bogen) tripod which helps. My dad has shot some very usable pictures at 1600 with his A100, at a play my brother was in. however He stated 800 was far better...

keep it low and get nice pics! OR buy a nikon D3 :D

Depends how often the sunsets and I'm not finished shooting yet.

DSC_2801.jpg

Obviously having a D3 helps but I still rather have this shot here at ISO1600 with all its noise than not have a shot at all.

Depends how often the sunsets and I'm not finished shooting yet.

DSC_2801.jpg

Obviously having a D3 helps but I still rather have this shot here at ISO1600 with all its noise than not have a shot at all.
You are s right!

I read somewhere of someone bumping ISO up to like 400 for sport shots. What if its a really bright day and you can get 1/640 lets say, and your at ISO 100, do you even need to bump is up to 200 to get a faster speed?

I dunno, any insight?
Im more or less asking about other peoples techniques on ISO in sporting events.

Outdoor soccer game?? No need to bump the iso at all.

Outdoor soccer game?? No need to bump the iso at all.

You seem to have forgotten that it gets dark outdoors nowadays. :)

I suppose after all these answers you have received, it's obvious. As low as possible, and as high as needed. (they said it, not me).

Personally I shoot sporting events and auto races. Content is more important than low-grain. I rarely shoot less than 800 ISO - even in the daytime! Put down your stones...I do this for DOF and focusing reasons, so I can shoot with a small aperture. Night time at Springfield Raceway - hands down, 3200. If you're shooting portraits or a wedding, certainly you need to be more cautious than me.

Because I shoot motorsports, I usually have the ISO on 400. It gives me that bit extra shutter speed on an overcast day, and still produces virtually no noise.

However, if I want to take photos of radio-controlled cars, I use an ISO of 800 or sometimes even 1600 in overcast weather. They're fast little buggers, trust me.

I still rather have this shot here at ISO1600 with all its noise than not have a shot at all.

Exactly. And to be honest, most non-photographers won't even notice the noise unless it's REALLY, REALLY bad. Luckily for all of us, dSLRs are getting better and better about controlling noise. I shoot at 800 and 1600 with no worries a lot now on my XTI and 30D.

I dunno, any insight?

Sports photography is my main focus at the collage level. It is simple. Keep the ISO as low as possible and still keep your necessary minimum shutter speed. Need more shutter speed, bump up the ISO.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back