How often do you upgrade?

JongTong

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just a general question, but i was wondering how often an experienced photographer upgrades there setups(cameras) meaning buying an new camera because you think the one you have has either gotten out dated or you just want the new stuff

Only when I feel the current generation is significant enough of an advance I can't do without. Example, I shot a manual focus F3 w/MD4 well past the life of the F4 and bought a F5 only a couple of years ago. I still like my F3 better, but it does lack AF and matrix metering. Both features I don't miss with film. I moved to digital when the D1 came out in 1999. I upgraded to the D1X and now shoot 3 of them. I only bought a D1H after wearing out the shutter of the D1. I like the D1/D1H for web shots like PR for live bands. Although I am still pleased with the D1X, I will upgrade to a D3 when they are available. I feel that when a camera/sensor is 2 generations old, it's time to upgrade. Simply from a noise/ISO standpoint. The D3's other features are just icing on the cake. Do we really need 12 to 22 MP sensors? I don't think so. I have poster size images from my 5.47 MP D1X's that are stunning with the proper processing. More is not always better, but it's nice to have more MP's when cropping or making those huge prints.

I shot D1 series X and H for years and hated them. When the D200 came out I jumped right on it. I do not see buying another camera for at least 3 years. Technology changes rapidly, but I am more of a "work with what ya got" kind of guy. My gear has to be unusable before I step up.

Love & Bass

i was shooting for over a decade with the same film camera, but I updated a couple of lenses a few times. with digital however, I think my current (Canon 5D) camera still has many shortcomings which I would like to see improved. So my plan is to upgrade camera-wise in about a year and a half (so 2.5 years after I got my current one).

For film, I still shoot with my Canon F1 and A1...both bought in the mid-1980's....

Digital I am upgrading currently from Nikon D50 to Nikon D300 (advance reservation, release in Nov)....

I am upgrading only for MP/resolution, not the features....

I am upgrading only for MP/resolution, not the features....

well, I'd call that features as well ;) .. I'd like to see better weather sealing, better dynamical range and such.

I just took a step back to add the incredibly quirky but still much-loved Epson R-D1 to my collection.

well, i got myself an AGFA Synchrobox :p in terms of format this is definitely an upgrade ;)

I'm no pro, but I'll still add my input: I bought my first camera in 2002, and it was a point and shoot. I upgraded 3 years later to the Rebel XT (my first DSLR) because I was at a point where I wanted to do more than I could with a P&S.

I plan on upgrading within 4 more years to the successor of the Canon 5D because I want a full-frame sensor, more AF points, a better camera body, and a lower-noise sensor (6 years should be more than enough time to improve the noise characteristics of a CMOS sensor).

My current camera Nikon D200 - bought 2006
My previous camera. Nikon FE - bought sometime in the 1970s :lol:

With digital it is frequent, but with film a new body would not get you a better picture. I plan to keep the D200 for at least 3-4 years though.

Unless i get a ton of money all of a sudden, i'm planning on running my D70 into the ground.

There's really no different between following technology and following fashion. You like to upgrade as often as you can.

Twice a year I look at what I got, need and want after I plan my projects for the year in advance (preliminary). Everything goes to travel, education and equipment according to relationship to projects. Long story short, equipment comes to new camera every 2 years. Lens 6-9 months. Other junk every 3-4 months.

My current camera Nikon D200 - bought 2006
My previous camera. Nikon FE - bought sometime in the 1970s :lol:

With digital its, but with film a new body would not get you a better picture. I plan to keep the D200 for at least 3-4 years though.

True, with film the camera is just a light-tight box to hold the film flat and mount a lens. The glass made the picture what is was. With digital we have a computer that mounts the lens and processes the image. Digital cameras upgrade like computers. About the time a new one is introduced, it's already obsolete. Still, I have shot my D1X's (love them BTW) until they are 2 generations old now that the D3 is around the corner. It's now that time. Now where did I bury that coffee can full of money?

I don't jump on EVERY camera that comes out, but here is how I progressed...

Nikon D100 to D70 to D2X. My D2X then broke, and I got a D200 to hold me over until the D3X which turned into now being on the waiting list for a D3!!!! ;)

I will be having my D2X fixed, though, since two of my lenses will not work well for the D3 being that they are DX lenses.

When I am bored, I buy new lenses.... but for me, it is good to upgrade cameras because it helps offset my ridiculous tax obligations at the end of the year - stupid ridiculous tax bracket!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back