How on earth do you make a decision??!!

3of11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't believe how hard it is to decide on what DSLR to get. I think I would be very satisfied with the XT, but why not spend a little more and get the XTi? And once I decide on the XTi, why not spend a little more and go to the 30D? And then when I am there I can't help but think of spending just a little more to get the 40D!!! I, being a beginner, don't really know how strongly to look on all the bells and whistles that the more expensive cameras have. Is the self cleaning lens something that is really important? When does the 6.5 fps really come in handy? I don't think I need anything too fancy now, but if I really get into photography will I want to invest in a better camera? I guess it is the whole debate between buying the better one now so that you don't have to invest later, or buying the cheaper one now because I am just beginning and don't know how far I am actually going to go. Any input would be great to read.

What is your budget and what are your goals with the camera?

You can stop at the 30D. The sensor cleaner is pretty much garbage on most DSLR's and a $10 blower works 10x's better. You can find a new 30D for about $700 for the body and a used with accessories for about $600. Kit lens + 50mm f/1.8 = about $180.

The XXD series, even as far back as the 20D's are a lot more user friendly than the rebel series imo. The rebels lack a few things, the scroll wheel being on of the biggest imo. I hate having to go into the menu to change iso and then having to hold down an additional button to change the aperture where as the XXD's all have dedicated controls.

You really have to ask yourself how serious you are about getting into the hobby and sticking with it. I know people that are still using 4 year old cameras with good results and I know people that have to have the latest and greatest that have gone through XTI-30D-40D in a matter of two or three years.

The real secret is that it's all about the knowledge in your head and the glass.

If you don't know what you are getting into or how far you will go, any basic DSLR will serve your needs. Find the cheapest possible DSLR with a kit lens and go for that. Get your feet wet first.

Go into a store and see the different models first hand. Feel them, hold them and play with them. The differences will soon be more apparent.

I can't believe how hard it is to decide on what DSLR to get. I think I would be very satisfied with the XT, but why not spend a little more and get the XTi? And once I decide on the XTi,

The XSi isn't far from release... Just to further complicate your desicion :D

I have an XTi (couldn't wait for the new model) and one feature I wish had access to in hindsight is Bracketting, would make experimenting with HDR so much quicker and easier.

Go into a store and see the different models first hand. Feel them, hold them and play with them. The differences will soon be more apparent.
I agree with this but a good suggestion I would have is go in and look at the most expesive body your budget can afford and then drop down a model or 2 and use the money you saved to buy a 2.8 and/or L series lens.

This was pretty much the deciding factor for me. Make sure you go thru all the menu controls/options, take a few pictures in manual and change all the settings. You'll soon find out what suits your needs.

The XSi isn't far from release... Just to further complicate your desicion :D

I have an XTi (couldn't wait for the new model) and one feature I wish had access to in hindsight is Bracketting, would make experimenting with HDR so much quicker and easier.

Im pretty sure it does have bracketing....

[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Auto exposure bracketing: -/+2 EV in 1/2 EV or 1/3 EV increments[/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

You don't know how much your comments have helped me. You guys are great. Thanks TONS!

This was pretty much the deciding factor for me. Make sure you go thru all the menu controls/options, take a few pictures in manual and change all the settings. You'll soon find out what suits your needs.

That can be hard to do for a beginner. I'm pretty new to photography and the little bit I've learned to this point has given me preferences concerning control layout that I couldn't have known in the beginning. If the OP doesn't know much about photography, he doesn't know what layout will suit him best once he does learn. It's a tough choice when you're new and you don't really know what to look for.

P.S. Off topic... Jon0807 - Is that a Manchester Terrier in your avitar?

That can be hard to do for a beginner. I'm pretty new to photography and the little bit I've learned to this point has given me preferences concerning control layout that I couldn't have known in the beginning. If the OP doesn't know much about photography, he doesn't know what layout will suit him best once he does learn. It's a tough choice when you're new and you don't really know what to look for.

P.S. Off topic... Jon0807 - Is that a Manchester Terrier in your avitar?

That's true, especially with exposure adjustments. But even just holding one in your hand can help if you're undecided. Before I got my Canon I was leaning twords Nikon but after holding each one, I realized that the Canon felt a whole lot better in my hands.

And I'm not sure if she's a Manchester Terrier or a Min Pin. She's too big to be a Minpin or a Mini Manchester and too small to be a regular Manchester. She was actually a rescue dog. We found her wandering around a marina and we picked her up and posted signs everywhere. Even took her into the SPCA but no one claimed her. She was so affectionate that my wife couldn't stand giving her up so we ended up adopting her.

hi guys -- these tips have been helpful to me as well....keep em coming
anyone still using a polaroid?

hi guys -- these tips have been helpful to me as well....keep em coming
anyone still using a polaroid?
They just quit making Polaroid, there's a number of members here who are quite sad about its demise.

Most reactions

Back