How photos "turn out"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be naive skieur. Just because some author and publisher managed to put out a 390 page book on a topic does not mean it is actually a problem. Most of these books sell because people are looking for recipes, they're technical cook-books.

Most of the issues dealt with in Photoshop were also dealt with in the dark room. Spotting, cropping, color filters, dodging & burning, over-lays...

I think that a "limited understanding of photography" is the reason that MANY people post process in the first place. To fix mistakes. At a certain point, you stumble into the realm of digital imaging, and not photography, which is a different art form all together. One might argue that they go hand in hand, but that can be said about most art forms.

Im glad you at least put 'I think' at the begining of this sentance. ;)

I really couldn't disagree more. I have said this before, PP depends entirely on what subject you choose to shoot.... and what kind of photographer you are... but to generalise that all PP is fix mistakes is way off.
I am more of a landscape photographer... i need PP to change tonal range and zones in the final image.... film photogs did it... i do it in PS. I also like to change the mood of the image to create something with more feeling. It certainly does not mean i have a limited understanding of photography, in fact it means the exact opposite.
If i were the type of photog who like to just take accurate shots of animals and birds, then i would have little need for PP. And look at wedding photogs, to not do PP for weddings these days seems almost laughable. So as i say, it depends ENTIRELY on what you trying to do.

Digital Imaging is also a long way off photography.... using PP well should get you no where near what digital imaging actually is.

Please guys, lets try and not give generalised comments, and above all, lets try and not turn this thread into another huge PP Vs no PP debate.

Why be offended she is correct, the absense of PP is comparable to "just clicking the shutter". It demonstrates a poor photographic eye and a lack of understanding of the limitations of digital technology.

skieur
Not everyone needs to fix mistakes. Some do.
Not everyone needs to modify images. Some do.
Not everyone needs to us PP. Some do.

No one is less a photographer because of their specific needs or lack thereof.

Not everyone needs to fix mistakes. Some do.
Not everyone needs to modify images. Some do.
Not everyone needs to us PP. Some do.

No one is less a photographer because of their specific needs or lack thereof.

With less value judgment

Not everyone wants to fix mistakes. Some do.
Not everyone wants to modify images. Some do.
Not everyone wants to use PP. Some do.

No one is less a photographer because of their specific wants or lack thereof.

And if you didn't put all that effort into it nothing would turn out right......I'm sorry, but there the one fact that remains. the phrase "Turn out" does not imply luck or effortless achievement. As it turns out the effort you put into it shows....that is all she was saying.
You're right. I'm being too grumpy. I've slept less than ten hours in the last four days. I need to sleep before I type.

:lol: I was in the same condition when I made that post.

With less value judgment

Not everyone wants to fix mistakes. Some do.
Not everyone wants to modify images. Some do.
Not everyone wants to use PP. Some do.

No one is less a photographer because of their specific wants or lack thereof.

I would add:

Not everyone wants to learn photography. Some do.

skieur

This thread had actually ended (to the satisfaction of the OP) with Lacey Anne's last post here - posted on 7 April (!).

Hence I now declare the little fightings over. Thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back