How should I do this?

neea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

I would like to take pictures at the Riding Arena at the College in town.
They have mini rodeos once a week and it's so neat how they can make those horses do just about anything.

Anyways, my question is this.. What would be the best settings to use?
It's not very bright inside and a flash is out of the question (it'd be a real rodeo if all the horses and calves charged at me).
There's alot of fast moving action sometimes too.
To have them a bit blurry wouldnt hurt but I would like some good action shots that are fairly clear.
I got a Canon Rebel 2000 with the kit lens.

Thanx in advance.

USe a high ISO film for starters. The problem is that you won't be able to change it if it's not high enough or too high.
I'm not sure how good the kit lens is but the fact that it's a kit lens makes me think it's ok....but not great.
A fast lens if you can get one and no filters since they'll simply reduce the amount of light getting to the film.

I take a lot of pictures of my daughter riding in an arena and using a higher ISO is the right way to boost your shutter speed. You might want to ask if a flash is ok, most of the horses that I photograph don't mind the flash. I'm sure that it will be dusty so you might want to have a filter on your lens to protect from the dust.

You will probably need both a high ISO film and a faster lens. Shooting moving subjects in low light is about the most demanding thing you can try to do.

I suggest a 50mm F1.8 lens. It's cheap and will give you a much better ability to shoot in lower light.

I would really prefer to not use a flash at all. Even if the horses were ok with it the students are still learning and the amount of concentration they have is crazy. I'd hate to distract them.
Or spook a calf and have something drastic happen.

Most reactions

Back