How should I have handled this?

First I'd move the composition more to the left and try to get the first tree out of the frame. I'd probably then set the DOF so that the first and some of the second posts were in focus. If that didn't turn out the way I'm imagining it then I think I'd make sure the first post was in focus and the rest would gradually blur off into the background giving more of a sense of depth

I love fences. Especially old ones. And I have to agree with everyone else. The second set of pictures came out much better.
For me, I prefer the angle of the first shot and the colors of the second shot, but my preference for old torn fences are b/w or filtered out to an antique look.

*Please bare with my lack of terminology, I'm new at photography*

Last edited:
I think the 2nd post, 2nd shot is the best of the 3. You could really work that in PS too and it will be really nice. Nice colors, composition, and lighting choice :)

I would like to thank all you folk who responded; I have been here two days & learned a lot.

Neuner, if the weather is favorable tomorrow morning I will try your idea & we can then see how it looks.

Next project is a decrepit shed.

Well Neuner, this morning the lighting is much more harsh but I tried out reducing the DOF. Here are three shots all with the ISO @ 100 & Av setting.

#6, f-3.5, t-1/160
fence6-1.jpg

#7, f-5.0, t-1/80
fence7-1.jpg

#8, f-3.5, t-1/200
fence8-1.jpg

Laf Omama, did you join?

Most reactions

Back